nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Has anyone ever done this? Does having a degree in QF "look good." Thoughts in general?

nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
It's not really a major it's a masters and at a top school (Berkeley)...

About the Ads

nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
sounds like you wasted alot of time doing that, but its never too late to start doing what you love

Haven't done it yet, but thinking about doing it the year while I'm applying...thoughts? Do you really think its a waste of time? I think it's kind of impressive (hope i don't sound too ahead of myself)...

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Hilbert Space
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Haven't done it yet, but thinking about doing it the year while I'm applying...thoughts? Do you really think its a waste of time? I think it's kind of impressive (hope i don't sound too ahead of myself)...

its going to serve you no real use as a physician (I just can't see any off the beaten path career that would combine the two degrees). there are other thingst that can improve your app (medically related work, research, medical mission trips) more than this. an adcom may question why you began to pursue this degree if you wanted to be a doctor instead.

nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
its going to serve you no real use as a physician (I just can't see any off the beaten path career that would combine the two degrees). there are other thingst that can improve your app (medically related work, research, medical mission trips) more than this. an adcom may question why you began to pursue this degree if you wanted to be a doctor instead.

I have decent stats so I'm not really trying to "improve" my app. I suppose there are other things that i can do in the 1 year gap, but i find this interesting. I don't think it will hurt my app, and I don't think it diminishes my app's value in the eyes of adcoms b/c hey i have a year off anyway...I'm just wondering if it'll help...thanks.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Hilbert Space
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i can - work for a hedge fund that specializes in the healthcare sector. or venture capital/private equity.

you def don't need the med degree for that. the 4 years (and $100,000+) spent learning medicine could be spent getting experience in the health care business world.

QuantumMechanic

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 23, 2005
Hilbert Space
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have decent stats so I'm not really trying to "improve" my app. I suppose there are other things that i can do in the 1 year gap, but i find this interesting. I don't think it will hurt my app, and I don't think it diminishes my app's value in the eyes of adcoms b/c hey i have a year off anyway...I'm just wondering if it'll help...thanks.

if you really want to do it and you can still demonstrate to adcoms that you are dedicated to becoming a physician, then do it...but its going to cost money to pursue the degree (or at least you'll lose income you'd otherwise make at a job). I personally don't think the tradeoff is worth it.

nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 18, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
if you really want to do it and you can still demonstrate to adcoms that you are dedicated to becoming a physician, then do it...but its going to cost money to pursue the degree (or at least you'll lose income you'd otherwise make at a job). I personally don't think the tradeoff is worth it.

This is what i was debating...

epigastric

Stewart U. Class of '11
10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Has anyone ever done this? Does having a degree in QF "look good." Thoughts in general?

Personally, if I had a quant MS I'd stick it out to a PhD, then go make myself a huge pile of money at the hedge fund/bulge bracket bank fund of my choice to sleep on at night.

Then I'd buy my way into Harvard Med in my retirement at the tender age of 40.

:D

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.