quantatative finance----->medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nycfella

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? Does having a degree in QF "look good." Thoughts in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone ever done this? Does having a degree in QF "look good." Thoughts in general?

no major looks good and they dont care...do what you want

It's not really a major it's a masters and at a top school (Berkeley)...

Members don't see this ad :)

sounds like you wasted alot of time doing that, but its never too late to start doing what you love

sounds like you wasted alot of time doing that, but its never too late to start doing what you love

Haven't done it yet, but thinking about doing it the year while I'm applying...thoughts? Do you really think its a waste of time? I think it's kind of impressive (hope i don't sound too ahead of myself)...

Haven't done it yet, but thinking about doing it the year while I'm applying...thoughts? Do you really think its a waste of time? I think it's kind of impressive (hope i don't sound too ahead of myself)...

its going to serve you no real use as a physician (I just can't see any off the beaten path career that would combine the two degrees). there are other thingst that can improve your app (medically related work, research, medical mission trips) more than this. an adcom may question why you began to pursue this degree if you wanted to be a doctor instead.

its going to serve you no real use as a physician (I just can't see any off the beaten path career that would combine the two degrees). there are other thingst that can improve your app (medically related work, research, medical mission trips) more than this. an adcom may question why you began to pursue this degree if you wanted to be a doctor instead.

I have decent stats so I'm not really trying to "improve" my app. I suppose there are other things that i can do in the 1 year gap, but i find this interesting. I don't think it will hurt my app, and I don't think it diminishes my app's value in the eyes of adcoms b/c hey i have a year off anyway...I'm just wondering if it'll help...thanks.

i can - work for a hedge fund that specializes in the healthcare sector. or venture capital/private equity.

you def don't need the med degree for that. the 4 years (and $100,000+) spent learning medicine could be spent getting experience in the health care business world.

I have decent stats so I'm not really trying to "improve" my app. I suppose there are other things that i can do in the 1 year gap, but i find this interesting. I don't think it will hurt my app, and I don't think it diminishes my app's value in the eyes of adcoms b/c hey i have a year off anyway...I'm just wondering if it'll help...thanks.

if you really want to do it and you can still demonstrate to adcoms that you are dedicated to becoming a physician, then do it...but its going to cost money to pursue the degree (or at least you'll lose income you'd otherwise make at a job). I personally don't think the tradeoff is worth it.

if you really want to do it and you can still demonstrate to adcoms that you are dedicated to becoming a physician, then do it...but its going to cost money to pursue the degree (or at least you'll lose income you'd otherwise make at a job). I personally don't think the tradeoff is worth it.

This is what i was debating...

Personally, if I had a quant MS I'd stick it out to a PhD, then go make myself a huge pile of money at the hedge fund/bulge bracket bank fund of my choice to sleep on at night.

Then I'd buy my way into Harvard Med in my retirement at the tender age of 40.

:D