Quarter Hours converted to Semester Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AR044

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me the ignorance of most schools when it comes to accepting students from schools that were on the quarter system?

Ex: Most schools will have a pre req of 8hrs chem/ 8hrs of OChem/ 8hrs of Physics.....and so on. However, they will require 12 hrs of these classes if you come from a quarter school.

Here is the logic I see them using. 2 semesters in a normal school year....3 quarters in a normal school year. Therefore 2*x=3 where x is 1.5. This is where they get 8 hrs of physics[semester]=(8*1.5) hrs of physics[quarter]. Therefore equating 8hrs at semester=12hrs at quarter school.

Hmmm...one BIG problem. Quarter school hours = Semester school hours

Ex: 3hr class a Big Univ of ____ is set up normally in this manner. MWF for 50 minutes over the 18 wk semester. 50minutes/class at 3 classes/wk for 18 wks=2700 minutes. 3hr class at _____Tech univ is set up normally in this manner. MWF for 75 minutes over a 12 wk quarter. Watch this kiddos. 75minutes/class at 3 classes/wk for 12 wks is......2700 minutes.

That's right 3 hrs at semester school = 3 hrs at a quarter school. Sorry that sounds like a rant, that was not my intention. It is so bothersome seeing dental schools want 1.5 times as much class hrs and class time from quarter students vs semester students.

Kids don't take 18-21 hrs at quarter schools each quarter... because it would be death. Lets's say timmy takes 18 hrs a semester. That's 36 hrs for the school year. Now let's say fred is taking the same classes as timmy. His quarter lay out would be 12hrs in Q1, 12hrs in Q2, and 12hrs in Q3. Giving him 36 hrs. Dental schools are using the logic that someone with 90 hrs at a semester school would have (90*1.5)=135 hrs at a quarter school.

So could anyone shed some light on this? Has anyone convinced a school he/she was applying to that there 8 hrs or OChem in one whole year was the same as OChem for 8hrs at a semester school?

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone explain to me the ignorance of most schools when it comes to accepting students from schools that were on the quarter system?

Ex: Most schools will have a pre req of 8hrs chem/ 8hrs of OChem/ 8hrs of Physics.....and so on. However, they will require 12 hrs of these classes if you come from a quarter school.

Here is the logic I see them using. 2 semesters in a normal school year....3 quarters in a normal school year. Therefore 2*x=3 where x is 1.5. This is where they get 8 hrs of physics[semester]=(8*1.5) hrs of physics[quarter]. Therefore equating 8hrs at semester=12hrs at quarter school.

Hmmm...one BIG problem. Quarter school hours = Semester school hours

Ex: 3hr class a Big Univ of ____ is set up normally in this manner. MWF for 50 minutes over the 18 wk semester. 50minutes/class at 3 classes/wk for 18 wks=2700 minutes. 3hr class at _____Tech univ is set up normally in this manner. MWF for 75 minutes over a 12 wk quarter. Watch this kiddos. 75minutes/class at 3 classes/wk for 12 wks is......2700 minutes.

That's right 3 hrs at semester school = 3 hrs at a quarter school. Sorry that sounds like a rant, that was not my intention. It is so bothersome seeing dental schools want 1.5 times as much class hrs and class time from quarter students vs semester students.

Kids don't take 18-21 hrs at quarter schools each quarter... because it would be death. Lets's say timmy takes 18 hrs a semester. That's 36 hrs for the school year. Now let's say fred is taking the same classes as timmy. His quarter lay out would be 12hrs in Q1, 12hrs in Q2, and 12hrs in Q3. Giving him 36 hrs. Dental schools are using the logic that someone with 90 hrs at a semester school would have (90*1.5)=135 hrs at a quarter school.

So could anyone shed some light on this? Has anyone convinced a school he/she was applying to that there 8 hrs or OChem in one whole year was the same as OChem for 8hrs at a semester school?

hmmm Gl conving them?.. I don't understand why do you even bother doing that.. You hate being overtime learning stuff? Plus i really doubt 8 quarter hours of ochem would be enough to cover all the ochem, since usually that means finishing the whole ochem book. I don't get you..

8 quarter hours is all I had.

Members don't see this ad :)
At my school, 3 quarters is equal to 2 semesters.

I was worried about this also..

At my school, 3 quarters is equal to 2 semesters.

I was worried about this also..

Same. Don't worry. Things work out fine. In general they just want 1 year of gen chem, physics, etc. Doesn't matter if it is quarter or semesters.

I have found the solution.

Here it goes: My school is a quarter school and as i laid out in my argument earlier a 3hr class at a semester school is the same amount of class time as a 3hr class at my quarter school. Reason being my school gives semester credit.

I never knew there were semester hours and quarter hours. I thought that because I went to a quarter school that i received quarter hours even though they are the same amount of time and material as a semester school. Come to find out some schools give quarter hours on the quarter school schedule; therefore there classes aren't nearly as long or involved as our semester hours. Hence why dental schools want for example 8 semester hrs=12 quarter hours.

So i go to a quarter scheduled school that gives semester hours. :D

I have found the solution.

Here it goes: My school is a quarter school and as i laid out in my argument earlier a 3hr class at a semester school is the same amount of class time as a 3hr class at my quarter school. Reason being my school gives semester credit.

I never knew there were semester hours and quarter hours. I thought that because I went to a quarter school that i received quarter hours even though they are the same amount of time and material as a semester school. Come to find out some schools give quarter hours on the quarter school schedule; therefore there classes aren't nearly as long or involved as our semester hours. Hence why dental schools want for example 8 semester hrs=12 quarter hours.

So i go to a quarter scheduled school that gives semester hours. :D

Cool. Long story short, it doesn't matter. Just fill out on AADSAS your classes and you are done.