Quarter system and submitting AAMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

knyght

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My university is on the quarter system and our finals don't finish until June 15 which means that grades won't be out until the week after and then transcripts won't be processed until the week after that so we're looking at late June, early July. Should I wait for grades to be processed or just submit it on June 1st when submissions are open?
My GPA isn't spectacular, which is around a 3.49. Do they see the whole GPA and do you think it would have a psychological effect on the admissions committees if they saw that as opposed to waiting and seeing a 3.5 after spring grades? It also might not matter as much since I know the AAMCAS GPA is kind of whack from the transcript GPA, which brings me to my second question. I got credit on my transcript for AP calculus but I took calculus anyway freshman year and got a C+. Since I got AP credit, my university transcript doesn't add that into my GPA, but I'm assuming AAMCAS does since it's all seeing?
Another reason I kind of want to wait is my increasing GPA. I had a horrible 1st year in college but have managed to sort of recover. So far the past two quarters of my senior year, I have 4.0s. That brings my cumulative to like a 3.499 or something like that thanks to picking up a psychology double major. My MCAT isn't great either, but I managed to get a 30M on the last paper one. What are my chances? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

My university is on the quarter system and our finals don't finish until June 15 which means that grades won't be out until the week after and then transcripts won't be processed until the week after that so we're looking at late June, early July. Should I wait for grades to be processed or just submit it on June 1st when submissions are open?
My GPA isn't spectacular, which is around a 3.49. Do they see the whole GPA and do you think it would have a psychological effect on the admissions committees if they saw that as opposed to waiting and seeing a 3.5 after spring grades? It also might not matter as much since I know the AAMCAS GPA is kind of whack from the transcript GPA, which brings me to my second question. I got credit on my transcript for AP calculus but I took calculus anyway freshman year and got a C+. Since I got AP credit, my university transcript doesn't add that into my GPA, but I'm assuming AAMCAS does since it's all seeing?
Another reason I kind of want to wait is my increasing GPA. I had a horrible 1st year in college but have managed to sort of recover. So far the past two quarters of my senior year, I have 4.0s. That brings my cumulative to like a 3.499 or something like that thanks to picking up a psychology double major. My MCAT isn't great either, but I managed to get a 30M on the last paper one. What are my chances? Thanks.

Im also in the quarter system. Here's my two cents:

*Wait until spring grades show on your transcripts.
AMCAS will not begin to process/verify your application until a Transcript is submited/received. You can submit your applicaton in early June with a transcript not showing your spring grades...BUT why bother paying for two sets of transcripts to be sent, when your goal is for them to see your spring grades (with an upward GPA trend). Besides, applying in early July STILL puts you in a Good position. Whatever you decide, applying early is crucial.

*Yes, AMCAS requires that you list ALL Courses that you've taken at a college level, regardless of whether a school credits the course grade points into your transcript GPA.

*In your case, an Upward GPA trend will help you Very much. Keep up the good work, and ensure (if you can) another 4.0 Spring Quarter average. Then Rock the MCAT, and you should be in descent shape.

Goodluck Bubba.