Quarter System - Semester Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realitybias

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a weird school where we have the quarter system, but there are no "quarter hours." Instead, all of the hours are semester hours. Our classes are longer than quarter system classes, and we get 6 semester hours from two quarters of a class. Some schools require that you take "two semesters" of a class OR "Three quarters" of that same class. The thing is, 3 quarters of that same class would be like 3 semesters, not two, at my school.

What should I do, and will schools understand this? (it will still be reported in semester hours on my transcript, but it wont show that I took the class series three quarters in a row.

Members don't see this ad.

You might speak to someone at the registrar's office of your college about how the credits would translate from your school to another one. For instance, if you were wanting to move to a school with the regular semester system. I suspect that if they are listed as semester hours then they should be fine as they are. Is your school on a trimester system or what?

Try the registrar.

You might speak to someone at the registrar's office of your college about how the credits would translate from your school to another one. For instance, if you were wanting to move to a school with the regular semester system. I suspect that if they are listed as semester hours then they should be fine as they are. Is your school on a trimester system or what?

Try the registrar.

Here's an excerpt from my academic handbook: We operate on a quarter calendar, but the unit of academic credit awarded is the semester hour. This is accomplished by increasing the amount of contact time per class meeting. For 3 hours of course credit, students attending classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday will be in class for 1 hour 15 minutes. Students attending classes on Tuesday and Thursday will be in class for 1 hour 50 minutes. In contrast, on the semester calendar for 3 hours of course credit, students attending classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday will be in class for 55 minutes. Students attending classes on Tuesday and Thursday will be in class for 1 hour 30 minutes. An additional 20 minutes of class lecture allows us to adjust the 9 month academic calendar from 2 traditional semesters to 3 quarters.

---------

To throw something else weird in the mix.. my transcript says QHRS... This is going to be tough to explain to schools, won't it?

Members don't see this ad :)
AMCAS will automatically adjust your hours based on information provided from your school. It's nothing to worry about.

If your school is in the U.S., AMCAS has a formula to adjust your hours...

Good good. I was hoping it wouldn't be troublesome.