question 14 on wash u secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Scooby Doo

IEatShavedPussyCats
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
it asks: "do you have unique experiences or obastacles you have overcome that were not covered in your application..."

Well, what exactly does this mean?
I basically went through college getting sick and having tonsilitis on average about two to three times a month and it wasn't until I graduated that I finally got them taken out. Now I have never felt better! These constant sicknesses had some doctors diagnosing me with chronic fatigue syndrome and stuff...it basically had a horrible effect on me the first time I took the MCAT causing me to not perform very well...other than that, I have been able to pull a very good GPA coming out of Berkeley. Is it worth it to describe this? Is that even what they are looking for? I don't want it to seem like an excuse for everything....
any ideas?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think what you went through is definitely a "unique experience" and you should report it matter of factly. The fact that you were able to cope with recurring illness for 4 years and still pull off good enough grades to be competitive for med school shows what you're made of.

Just a quick reply...

If you're happy with your GPA (and it sounds like you are) and your MCAT (sounds like you took it a second time), I wouldn't mention your bouts of tonsillitis. I actually had several interviewers comment on my response to that question (it's on lots of secondaries)... just because I simply wrote that "I take full responsibility for my academic performance."

Even though your sicknesses may have been totally legit (as are many other possible answers), apparently lots of applicants come up with all kinds of excuses for grades in their answers to this question. If you did well at Berkeley despite your condition, I wouldn't mention your tonsils... this would keep any devil's advocates on adcoms from thinking you might be coming up with excuses.

Good luck,

doepug
MS II, Johns Hopkins

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:
•it asks: "do you have unique experiences or obastacles you have overcome that were not covered in your application..."

Well, what exactly does this mean?
I basically went through college getting sick and having tonsilitis on average about two to three times a month and it wasn't until I graduated that I finally got them taken out. Now I have never felt better! These constant sicknesses had some doctors diagnosing me with chronic fatigue syndrome and stuff...it basically had a horrible effect on me the first time I took the MCAT causing me to not perform very well...other than that, I have been able to pull a very good GPA coming out of Berkeley. Is it worth it to describe this? Is that even what they are looking for? I don't want it to seem like an excuse for everything....
any ideas?
Thanks!•

Wow. I'm 32, and about to get my tonsils taken out for the same reason (constant colds and flus - in fact, I have a cold right now!). I'm getting them out in two weeks. I can't wait, and I'm hoping the result will be as positive as yours.

The next step? Getting my deviated septum fixed - then, hopefully, no more colds, and no more sleepless nights because of sleep apnea. Weird how these "little" things can profoundly affect your life.

Thanks for sharing your story...

Nanon, soon to be tonsil-less.

Just so you know.
Tonsillectomy has been the WORST pain of my life. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, and this had to be the worst! For 10 days straight I was in pain, I couldn't sleep for more than 2 hours at a time b/c of the pain medication wearing off. I am surprised my liver made it through the bombardment of vicodin I shoved down my throat. I was taking three times the rec. dosage (with consent of my doctor). Basically it just really hurt on one side...horrible pain in your ears. If you want any websites that tell stories, feel free to email me. I talked to a woman before getting it done and she said she would rather give birth again than have to go through a tonsillectomy! haha...

So any other suggestions?

Doepug --- So they responded to what you put on your secondary, but what did they say? Were they impressed? Any one else's opinion is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Refering to the original question that Scooby Doo posted, does one's answer necessarily have to reflect an unusual experience etc., that caused one to not perform well academically or on the MCAT? Would it be OK to instead use this space to talk about unique experiences in general?

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo:

I basically went through college getting sick and having tonsilitis on average about two to three times a month and it wasn't until I graduated that I finally got them taken out. Now I have never felt better! These constant sicknesses had some doctors diagnosing me with chronic fatigue syndrome and stuff...it basically had a horrible effect on me the first time I took the MCAT causing me to not perform very well...other than that, I have been able to pull a very good GPA coming out of Berkeley. Thanks!•

What up Scooby? had some snacks today? ;)
I clipped out all but the meat of your message. My judgement would indicate that the above paragraph is more than suitable. Especially since you were able to come back and take the MCAT again and still maintain a competitive GPA. you are not using it as a crutch for your bad MCAT since you did take it again and score well.

good luck, dog! :D

I just left the question blank. I don't feel I have had to overcome any special obstacles...just normal hurdles. I have felt VERY lucky. Should I have that and not left it blank? What do you think.

I think the question (Wash U's, that is) is meant to ferret out anything else that's not covered on the application i.e. I think it's whether you've had "unique experiences" OR "obstacles," so you wouldn't necessarily have to talk about something negative. I didn't have either that weren't covered on AMCAS, so I left it blank.

left it blank too, same reasons