Question 28 from ADA practice

haagendazs

10+ Year Member
Sep 30, 2008
    In the ADA sample items given here http://www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/dat_test_sampleitems.pdf , I was wondering if #28 is correct. I'm specifically talking about (4) A single chromosome usually carries two alleles of each gene.

I thought diploid organisms have 23 pairs of chromosomes, which means 46 chromosomes. Within each pair, one *chromosome* carries one allele of a gene, and its homologous chromosome carries the other. So how is it true that a single chromosome can carry 2 alleles of the same gene?

Someone please explain it to me, I'm confused :(

haagendazs

10+ Year Member
    Sep 30, 2008
      Ah I see what you mean. So then is it true that during anaphase, telophase, cytokinesis, G1 phase, and the first half of S phase, there is 1 allele per chromosome. And during the second half of S phase, G2 phase, prophase, and metaphase, there are 2 alleles per chromosomes due to replication?

If that's the case, then doesn't the chromosome have 1 allele half the time and 2 alleles the other half? The above 2 options are approximately halfway in terms of time. And then there are the cells that are in G0 phase, and they clearly have 1 allele per chromosome.

Thanks for the clarification Svart Aske, but I'm still a bit confused... :)

About the Ads
      This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
      2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
      5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
      6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
      7. This thread is locked.