question about aamc test scores

Munchkin6245

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 28, 2004
WDM
  1. Medical Student
    I haven't taken the real one yet, debating between April and Aug, but the first time I took a practice I got a 13 on it...but please note that I hadn't seen any of this stuff in 4 years or more and I didn't study. The second practice I took I got a 17 on. So I can see more progression but I'm still no where near where I want to be. I don't know if I will be ready or not for the April

About the Ads

jxu66

7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Feb 24, 2004
    TX
      So far, I took two sample tests from AAMC. I got 27 for 3R (four weeks ago), 30 for 5R (two weeks ago). I plan to take the other two every two weeks. I heard that the real test is a little tougher than the practice test, probably due to nervousness of people. I had a friend who got ~30 for four sample tests, yet only got 25 for the real one. I hope that won't happen to me.
      Just in case, I am studying Berkeley Review tests and Kaplan tests between the weeks. Those tests are a lot more harder, though.

R_C_Hutchinson

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Aug 16, 2003
        this question has been asked quite a bit: the general consensus is that the AAMC tests are the best indicator of what you'll actually get, although they may be ever so slightly (maybe one point) easier than the real thing (they'll overestimate your score a tiny bit).
        Bear in mind that other diagnostics have other motivations: kaplan etc.'s initial diagnostics have a vested interest in giving you a low score because of their money back guarantee. that said, anyone who reports their diag/real score will probably be outside the normal range; people generally wont post unless they have something more interesting to say than "got a 30 on AAMC, 31 on real"

Spacekat

fictitious
        15+ Year Member
        Jul 10, 2003
          My real score was better than the practice tests, I think for two reasons:

1) The real test was of much higher quality. The questions on some of the practice tests (both Kaplan and AAMC) were poorly worded or had unintentionally ambiguous answer choices. This was not true on the real deal.

2) I was very aware of the need to do well during the real thing, and that has a tendency to sharpen the mind.

About 4 points difference in total score for me.

primerz

Membership Revoked
          Removed
          15+ Year Member
          Feb 29, 2004
            Originally posted by Spacekat
            My real score was better than the practice tests, I think for two reasons:

1) The real test was of much higher quality. The questions on some of the practice tests (both Kaplan and AAMC) were poorly worded or had unintentionally ambiguous answer choices. This was not true on the real deal.

2) I was very aware of the need to do well during the real thing, and that has a tendency to sharpen the mind.

About 4 points difference in total score for me.
            :clap: , congrats dude.

One thing I want to mention. I know I have not taken the exam, so the creadibility of my words my be of some lower standard. But being nervous during any exam can only hurt you. Relax yourself somehow, and stay sharp and focused.

Just me .03 cents

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.