Dec 10, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
I was wondering how quickly after interviews programs typically start to extend offers of admission. Does anyone have some insight on this?

cara susanna

10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2008
Midwest
Status
Psychologist
Depends on the program and where you are in their list. If you're a top choice, probably about a week or two after interviews. If you're waitlisted, you may be informed a week or two later or maybe not at all. If you're rejected outright after the interview, you usually hear about it within a month after the interview, but not always.

Basically, they go down the list. If you don't hear anything and you had an interview, it usually means you're still in the running because they don't want to outright reject you until they're sure they've filled their spots. One place I interviewed didn't reject me until July!

Most people ask at interviews when they'll hear back, or the DCT will tell you, from my experience.

OP
S
Dec 10, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
Depends on the program and where you are in their list. If you're a top choice, probably about a week or two after interviews. If you're waitlisted, you may be informed a week or two later or maybe not at all. If you're rejected outright after the interview, you usually hear about it within a month after the interview, but not always.

Basically, they go down the list. If you don't hear anything and you had an interview, it usually means you're still in the running because they don't want to outright reject you until they're sure they've filled their spots. One place I interviewed didn't reject me until July!

Most people ask at interviews when they'll hear back, or the DCT will tell you, from my experience.
thanks, I appreciate the info. This is my first year applying and to say I am nervous would be an understatement!

StudentBsMs11

5+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2010
Status
Post Doc
You should really check out the Interview Invitation thread for more up-to-date info on when schools start sending out interview invitations, and see last year's invite thread for detailed info on when each school sent out invitations, when the interviews were held, and how they sent out invitations. I'm serious, they're going to be super-helpful if you've never gone through this process before. Good luck! :luck:

OP
S
Dec 10, 2010
Status
Psychology Student
Thanks, I have begun to periodically check this site to see when my schools have extended invitations. This year I have only applied to a few schools, all of them ones I would be very happy attending. I am wondering, is it very common for this process to take multiple years?

StudentBsMs11

5+ Year Member
Dec 12, 2010
Status
Post Doc
It does seem as though it's fairly typical for the process to take multiple years before a person gets an offer of admission. I'm going for my second round right now, and most of the doc students in my program say that they applied at least once before they got in. One woman didn't get in until her fourth round of applications! (God, I hope it doesn't take ME that long!)

Some people get lucky and get in their first try, though. I've known a few people like that, too. Don't let me get you down!

May 5, 2010
Status
Pre-Psychology
Almost always you will find on the program's website or guide to admissions the answer regarding when it is that interviews and offers are expected to be sent. If you've looked everywhere and not found an answer, don't be shy. Contact the person who will provide the most reliable answer, and that's not going to be on SDN. It's the program's admissions person. Email or call them. Because even what is posted about dates on the program's site or in their guide to admissions might not be applicable to this year -- maybe because their deadlines are different than years passed, etc.