Question about AMCAS application mailings

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by md2be06, Aug 5, 2001.

1. md2be06

md2be06 Senior Member

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but is AMCAS sending out paper copies of all applications or just those that have been processed? I don't understand how some of these stubborn schools will accept unprocessed applications from AMCAS, but not from the students; they're the same exact thing! Also, if AMCAS does follow through on their promise to mail out these apps, will they remove the designated schools section? They specifically state that other schools do not see where else we apply, so are they going to withhold this information? I know schools state that it plays no role in admissions decisions, but I'm not that naive. No school is going to be happy that I decided to apply to 19 other schools. How long will it take AMCAS to mail half a million printed applications to medical schools? This seems like an enormous undertaking. I wish they would just put all their efforts into processing applications and trying to fix transmission problems. By resorting to manual mailings, it's going to take even longer for everyone's application to be processed, and eventually electronically transmitted to medical schools. Also, is anyone still missing MCAT scores? My MCAT scores disappeared last week and have yet to show up again. I don't think anyone will be receiving any acceptances till AMCAS decides to transmit official MCAT scores. Worst case scenario, at what point do you guys think that AMCAS will scrap this whole thing and go to paper-based applications? October? November? I'd love to hear some feedback. Later.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    This is the kind of question that requires hundreds of man-hours and thousands of dollars worth of computing power. I think we should leave problems like this to the theoretical physicists. A better question is how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop?

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member

I'm guessing just those that have been processed (and we all know how fast that's going!). I'm continuing to send out paper copies to those schools who've said they'll take them, as well as any school that's got their secondary on-line. I was not one of the first to submit to AMCAS, and I really don't want my designated schools to have wait for them to process my application , and then wait again for them to send out the paper copy, before they get any inkling of who I am. As far as whether they'll send out the list of schools, presumably they won't since they say that they won't, but with AMCAS that's probably presuming too much!