1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question about AMCAS GPA.

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by peony, Dec 16, 2008.

1. peony

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey everyone! I started trying to figure out my science GPA so I'd determine which schools I'm competitive for, but I'm already lost!

Basically, I'm an older post-bacc and took classes in three places (with the three systems decribed below):

1) Undergrad
    semester system
    every class was 1 credit but classes w/ labs were 1.5 credits

2) Graduate degree (I took a few u-grad science classes here)
    quarter system
    every class was 1 credit (classes with a lab component were still only 1 credit)

3) Post-bacc school (where I took most of my pre-reqs):
    semester system
    classes were 3 credits and the lab was a seperate 1 credit class

All of these were in the A, A-, B+, etc system, so that part is easy to figure out. I understand that three quarters equal two semesters, but since my labs are all worth different amounts how does that work? Also, at school #3 my 3-credit classes will be scaled down to be the same as my 1-credit classes at school #1, right?

Last question: do science and math classes in non-science and math departments count for the BCPM GPA? An example would be a statistics classes I took in a psych deparment. Thanks SO much to anyone who takes the time to answer this way-too-complex post!!

P.S. I just thought of one more question! There was one class that I retook. Both grades will count for their normal amounts, right? (instead of simply being averaged and counting for one course)

#1 peony, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Mobius1985

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
  4. Pghboy18

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Best thing to do might be to call the respective registrars and ask about AMCAS conversions. My ugrad was on quarters, with one credit per class; however, for AMCAS purposes, they considered a non-lab course to be worth 3 semester-hours and a lab course to be worth 4.5. Many schools have already worked out conversion factors and a quick call can save you a lot of time.