question about amcas gpa.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audtk0012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i called amcas and asked them if W(official withdrawal) counts as F.

they told me that it all depends on verification process.

Does anyone has an idea of how often W is translated as F?

My school policy is that W will be excluded from GPA calculation even though it shows up in transcript. We can officially withdraw from a class between 2nd week to 7th week of a quarter.

Also, i received two NP (not proficient) from two of my English classes. I am not sure those will be also counted as F.

I just realized that repeated courses will be counted against my GPA, and i am in shock now that i have repeated so many classes to increase my GPA. As a result i have solid GPA (around 3.8) calculated by school policy and very low amcas GPA (could be lower than 3 depending on whether W will be counted against me).

Does anyone can tell me how it works? Im quiet desperate.

Members don't see this ad.

A W on the transcript does not count as an F with AMCAS, but a WF does when they do the calculation. The difference would be this: W=formal withdrawal after the deadline. WF=stopped going to class, told no one why, didn't ake any tests so automatic fail. You already know which wone you were.

Just a guess: NP does not equal Fail, from what you're saying. Sounds more like what I'd call a "D". It depends on what your school means by this, and there is usually an explanatory legend included with a formal transcript that explains.

Yes, AMCAS includes all grades earned, regardless of how your school calculates your GPA. However, if it makes that much of a difference, be aware that AACOMAS, the DO application service, only includes the most recent grade, provided the credit hours are the same or greater. You might want to condsider applying to Osteopathic (DO) schools instead of Allopathic (MD) schools, as they are much more forgiving of past academic difficulty.

Thanks you for your explanations. I read the description of NP and it seems legitimate to say that it is a "D." Thank you again Catalystik, for replying to so many threads, i have acquired so much information from you just glencing over your replies.
Have good day!