Question about Annals of EM

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by DeadCactus, Mar 7, 2007.

1. DeadCactus

DeadCactus SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    What's the cheapest subscription an undergrad could get? Do UGs count as students or is that reserved for Med Students/Residents?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Dr.Evil1

Dr.Evil1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    On brief glance it doesn't look like you can apply for ACEP membership until you are a medical student. Check out the website www.acep.org for more info.

4. trkd

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would absolutely fall out of my chair with shock and awe if they checked with the med school. Just say you are a student and get annals for free with your membership. Put a foreign school if you are overly concerned. They will never check. Or you could just go to the local med school library to read it but that is not really your question.

5. DeadCactus

Resident [Any Field]
    On a related note: How many issues are in a subscription and how large is an issue?

6. Hawk22

Hawk22 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does your school's library get a subscription? If so, they may get it electronically as well and you might be able to log on each month and read it online for free. I would check with your library or your health science library (if you have one).

7. Jeff698

Jeff698 EM/EMS nerd
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The benefit here is that you don't accumulate an enourmous stack of journals you're never going to go back and read again (assuming you read them in the first place).

I just moved again and totted about 50 tons of old journals along with me. I had 20 years of Jems and 4 years of JAMA, AEM and Annals. All great publications but the odds of me going back and reading articles from them again is essentially nil. If I really wanted something from them, I'd get it online.

Might as well start there to begin with.

Take care,
    Jeff

8. Dr. Dukes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    There is something cool about a bookshelf covered with tons of journals. However, considering EPs don't have nice offices to impress patients with, I suppose I would go with electronic issues.
    Now if I was an IM guy...

9. trkd

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Bloody hell, it seems like they are sending them daily. I think it is monthly though. Average journal size, 120 or so. I agree with the others though, why bother? They are sitting on my shelf. I carry them around saying "I might read it". Never happens.

10. Dr.McNinja

Dr.McNinja Nobel War Prize Winner
    Moderator Physician Faculty 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It is big enough that I usually haven't finished the last one before the next one is on me. Of course, throw in the JAMA, AAFP (pretty good rag if you ask me, just not for high acuity stuff), Coastal Living, Sports Illustrated, and the books I'm trying to read, as well as how much time I spend on here.

Although, I bet if I ate less fiber, I would spend more time in the library, and thus have more periodical reading time.

11. DeadCactus

Resident [Any Field]
    One last question: Is there anywhere you can pick up individual issues?