Question about application (no, this is not in the wrong forum)...

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by AirForceK10001, Jun 19, 2008.

1. AirForceK10001

Pre-Medical
    Is anyone here prior enlisted that has been recently accepted into an MD program?

If so, I have a few questions about how you filled out the Work/Activities section of the AMCAS.

1. Are there any tips on describing your job in a manner that ADCOMs will find understandable and desirable?

2. Did you list Honors/Awards/Recognitions separately from the main entry? If so, did you list civilian awards separately or lump military and civilian awards together?

3. How did you handle things like professional memberships, additional duties or non-job related leadership positions (enlisted councils, etc.)?

4. Do you feel that your military experience was a significant benefit to you during your application process?

Thank you.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. BomberDoc

BomberDoc ex-BomberDoc

Resident [Any Field]
    Nice avatar... slick flight surgeon wings. By the time you finish med school, the AF will probably mandate 100% of new physicians do a FS tour. At least you know what you're in for.

4. MaximusD

MaximusD Anatomically Incorrect
    Physician

Resident [Any Field]
    BD, you can't be serious. This would buck the current trend of the other branches.

5. BomberDoc

BomberDoc ex-BomberDoc

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm only half serious. Right now 25-30% of new AF docs are forced into flight med or an even worse fate for those who can't pass the physical, straight GMO. I have heard, but can't substantiate, that this number will be increasing as the opstempo just keeps increasing and there is an increasing need for operational physicians. 50% might be a better guess.

6. BomberDoc

BomberDoc ex-BomberDoc

Resident [Any Field]
  7. BamaMedik

BamaMedik Junior Member

Post Doc
    1. Well you should try to describe your job in plain english as best you can. I had two AFSC's Medical Techician and Services and all I did was explain what I did briefly. Just be clear. Don't worry about desirablity.

2. I listed all the awardeds together whether they were military or civilian.

3. I listed professional memberships, etc.. under activities since they weren't paid work.

4. Military experience wasn't a significant benefit but I think there was some benefit in fact they found it interesting.

Hope that helps some. Good luck!

8. IgD

IgD The Lorax

Did you / can you take the Transition Assistance Program class? It goes over all this. They also list a website where you can enter your billet and it will output a job description. Sounds like what you need is a resume.

#7 IgD, Jun 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  9. sethco

sethco Senior Member

Attending Physician
    I heard the same thing from my SGP and Med Group Commander while I was in my deployed location. They stated that the "GMO pool" was going to be increased by 10%. Don't know whether to take them seriously or not, but I do know that the ops tempo is increasing and the need for flight surgeons is not going away anytime soon. While 50% may not be ridiculous or impossible in 4-5 years, it probable is exagerated. My prediction would be close to 35% among 4th year med student applicants.

Bomberdoc has it exactly right, though. There definitely is an increasing need for operational docs, and the sooner the better (i.e. Residency training not needed). My current base has a flight med staff now with only 3 residency trained docs out of 11 total docs!!!

10. sethco

sethco Senior Member

Attending Physician
    My boss informed me today that there is a strong possibility that next July I will be the senior ranking flight surgeon in my clinic after only 3 years experience (and without a residency) :eek:

Where's my freaking star?!?!?

[How's that for sarcasm???]

11. AirForceK10001

Pre-Medical
    BamaMedik - I appreciate your answers they were helpful.

IgD - Thank you for your answer as well. I have never heard of the Transition Assistance Program class, I will definitely look into.

BD - By the time you finish med school, the AF will probably mandate 100% of new physicians do a FS tour. At least you know what you're in for. I should probably explain that I am Guard, so becoming a FS means something different to me than it does to AD. What is the negative connotation that FS has? Does becoming a FS actually interfere with your residency?

Has everyone here done the HPSP? If so, do you regret it? (I have no intention of doing it, I'm just curious.)

12. TheGoose

Resident [Any Field]
    the negative connotation that FS/GMO has attached to it is that it delays GME training. For example, a med student graduates, goes through internship, and rather than going straight into their residency training needs to take a 2 year (or 4 year) hiatus from their training. It seems that some people were misled by recruiters or whoever about the prospect of the FS/GMO billets and are justifiably disgruntled about the delay in the training of their specialty of choice.

From what ive seen, this forum consists of: current HPSP students, former HPSP students, prospective HPSP students, nat. guard mil med people, FAP mil med people, USUHS students and grads, and other medical personnel. The vast majority of posts are HPSP focused because prospective HPSP students come for advice about the program and life in milmed.

Also, to the second part of the question there was a somewhat recent thread called "Is anyone happy they did HPSP in the end" that might have some answers...http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=517010

13. AirForceK10001

Pre-Medical
    I guess FS looks different when you only have to do it one weekend a month or on deployments.