Question about applying for licensure if I was placed on probation while i was in residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

holylife

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a US MD graduate but was placed on probation and "did not full my probation requirements" and was recommended for dismissal because they felt i could not supervise an intern. My question is which states or US Territory would be my best chances of getting my medical licensure?

Also my program should provide me with a Verification of Training letter but they won't let me see if. They wrote that it will go from one program director to another program director. I would like to see this letter in case there are anything that is false. Also, I would like to see what they write so that I can say something in parrallel to the PDs and State Medical Boards.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I am a US MD graduate but was placed on probation and "did not full my probation requirements" and was recommended for dismissal because they felt i could not supervise an intern. My question is which states or US Territory would be my best chances of getting my medical licensure?

Also my program should provide me with a Verification of Training letter but they won't let me see if. They wrote that it will go from one program director to another program director. I would like to see this letter in case there are anything that is false. Also, I would like to see what they write so that I can say something in parrallel to the PDs and State Medical Boards.

Did you receive credit for the entire year of training? If not, you would not be eligible for a license. For USMD grads, you need at least one year of training completed to qualify. You will need to state in all future license , job, or residency applications that you were on probation and dismissed from the program. Without further training, you may run into problems with getting your license. You should ask your training program how you should answer this question. They will basically tell you how they will state it at that point.

Reactions: 1 users

What did you do to get on the Bad Boy list here in SDN?

Reactions: 1 user
Are you moving onto another program? I would say that if you are moving to a different program work to the best of your ability to be a stellar resident. On your license you will have to disclose you were on probation. If you successfully complete your other program hopefully in a different specialty you should be able to get licensed although you will need to explain what happened, might require an IV with the board, etc.

Agree with above that you're not going to be eligible in basically any states without a full year of training.

You need a letter from your prior program to have any chance of joining a new program. Like any letter of rec, you should have no expectation of being allowed to see it before it is submitted--in fact, if you check the box in ERAS that says you saw the contents, any prospective program may ignore what's in the letter because then they probably figure that it is no longer unbiased. In general, it shouldn't be hard to get at least a neutral letter unless 1) they think you are truly a danger to patients, in which case you're screwed, or 2) you manage to really piss them off.

So being a pain in their ass and lobbying to see this letter really probably isn't helping you.

Reactions: 1 user
Reactions: 2 users
If you were dropped by two residencies before getting through a year in either you probably need to take some reflection on what your clinical or social deficiencies are......because one of them is really significant

It’s kind of hard to get fired mid intern year if you are pleasant and even slowly making minimal progress

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.