Question about applying to dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tonya

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could give me some insight:). I just took the DAT in May and my score isn't good enough. However, my score is going to be send to dental schools. I am pretty sure I can do better. I am planning to retake the DAT in August. Should I still send out my application to dental schools in June or not? What would you suggest? Should I wait till August to apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could give me some insight:). I just took the DAT in May and my score isn't good enough. However, my score is going to be send to dental schools. I am pretty sure I can do better. I am planning to retake the DAT in August. Should I still send out my application to dental schools in June or not? What would you suggest? Should I wait till August to apply?

what is your DAT breakdown? how did you prepare and why do you think you can do better? You should still apply early.

apply as early as you can.
retake the DAT as early as you can (if you think you can do better).

Members don't see this ad :)
you used to be able to tell the schools that you are retaking the DAT on aadsas, now what you can do is apply early, then send a letter to the schools you know you have a good shot at and tell them that you are retaking.

you used to be able to tell the schools that you are retaking the DAT on aadsas, now what you can do is apply early, then send a letter to the schools you know you have a good shot at and tell them that you are retaking.

You can't do that anymore? That sucks!

yes, please tell me where you got this information?

yes, please tell me where you got this information?

im applied last cycle and i submitted my app early. i took the test in august but there was no place for me to inform them. I called aadsas and they told me to write in my personal statement which i did not do. so i emailed the schools instead. call addsas and they will tell you.

your were right. This blows!

Q: How can I report “future DAT” test to the participating dental school?

A: There is no longer a specific place in the ADEA AADSAS application to report future DAT test dates. You are encouraged to include this information in another part of the application, ie., your essay, or contact your dental schools directly with this information.

source: http://www.adea.org/dental_education_pathways/aadsas/Applicants/FAQs/CompletingAADSASApplication/Pages/StandardizedTests.aspx

I would definitely not wait until August to submit your AADSAS. Submit it in June/July and re-evaluate your study methods for the DAT. You still have the information fresh in your mind, so you have to ask yourself if you need to take more practice exams, study up on specific material, use more study prep materials, or form a study group.

Ok, so just so I am clear. I should apply as early as possible and then call the individual schools and let them know that I plan to retake the DAT, therefore they should wait for that score?