1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Question about applying to Med School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NubianPrincess, Jan 11, 2002.

1. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When you see admission statistics that show less than 10% of applicants being accepted, is it safe to assume that many applicants did not have the competitive GPA or MCAT scores and that's why they were rejected?
    What about the pre-med commitees that won't provide letters of recommendation unless your gpa is at a certain level. I guess my question is who gets rejected? Are people with 3.5 GPAs and 30s on MCATS and volunteer experience unable to get in to med school?
    How do I feel like I have a real chance when there are so many people applying for so few spots?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Jedi In Training

Jedi In Training Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Why does your bio say that you are from Philly/New York? Aren't these cities 100 miles apart? To answer your question, some people look good on paper but either they (a) interview poorly (i.e. not having honest/altrustic reasons for going into medicine) or (b) don't make themselves stand out from other applicants by doing the same "pre-med activities" that everyone else does.

4. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Unfortunately we don't have combined stats on GPA/MCAT and med school admissions. But in general...you're in pretty good shape with a 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT. Definitely better than the average applicant.

5. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I go to school in Philly but I was born in raised in Harlem, NYC (and proud of it :) )
    I just read a post in which a person said that they knew people with 4.0 gpas who didn't get in. I just don't think I understand all the politics of the application process. I guess I just don't have enough confidence, yet. But its not time to apply anyway, so I guess I'll worry about that later.