Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Question about applying to Med School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by NubianPrincess, Jan 11, 2002.

1. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    When you see admission statistics that show less than 10% of applicants being accepted, is it safe to assume that many applicants did not have the competitive GPA or MCAT scores and that's why they were rejected?
    What about the pre-med commitees that won't provide letters of recommendation unless your gpa is at a certain level. I guess my question is who gets rejected? Are people with 3.5 GPAs and 30s on MCATS and volunteer experience unable to get in to med school?
    How do I feel like I have a real chance when there are so many people applying for so few spots?

2. Jedi In Training

Jedi In Training Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Why does your bio say that you are from Philly/New York? Aren't these cities 100 miles apart? To answer your question, some people look good on paper but either they (a) interview poorly (i.e. not having honest/altrustic reasons for going into medicine) or (b) don't make themselves stand out from other applicants by doing the same "pre-med activities" that everyone else does.

3. none

none 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Unfortunately we don't have combined stats on GPA/MCAT and med school admissions. But in general...you're in pretty good shape with a 3.5 GPA and 30 MCAT. Definitely better than the average applicant.

4. NubianPrincess

NubianPrincess Perpetually Bored
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I go to school in Philly but I was born in raised in Harlem, NYC (and proud of it :) )
    I just read a post in which a person said that they knew people with 4.0 gpas who didn't get in. I just don't think I understand all the politics of the application process. I guess I just don't have enough confidence, yet. But its not time to apply anyway, so I guess I'll worry about that later.