Question about applying to PM&R residencies in the future..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DryHopped

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a pre-med student who will be starting medical school next year, most likely at an osteopathic school. I am interested in musculoskeletal based medicine, so PM&R is on my radar. I have become aware of this pending rule where one has to do an ACGME internship in order to do an ACGME residency. So if I were to become interested in pursuing PM&R then I would have to apply for an ACGME internship then a residency..I was wondering if it is difficult to get an ACGME internship as an osteopathic student? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Members don't see this ad.

It's not difficult. There will be a select few cush transitional internships that get flooded w academic studs going into derm, rads, anesthesia, etc.... but overall it's nothing to worry about. The only potential issue is the four remaining states where the DO governing bodies mandate completion of a DO/AOA internship to be able to practice. There are ways to work around that issue though.

It's not difficult. There will be a select few cush transitional internships that get flooded w academic studs going into derm, rads, anesthesia, etc.... but overall it's nothing to worry about. The only potential issue is the four remaining states where the DO governing bodies mandate completion of a DO/AOA internship to be able to practice. There are ways to work around that issue though.

Good to hear...thank you for replying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll also be attending an osteopathic med school. Do all PM&R residency programs start at PGY2?

I'll also be attending an osteopathic med school. Do all PM&R residency programs start at PGY2?

Hey whats up Chyea. There are categorical and advanced PM&R programs...
-The advanced programs start at PGY-2 and you are responsible for finding your own PGY-1 year which can be IM, surgery, or family med
-The categorical programs include the pgy-1 year in their program.

There are more advanced programs than categorical and the categorical tend to be more competitive. Hope this helps