Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Question about Baylor

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DMBFan61, Apr 29, 2004.

1. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Anyone out there that is not a resident of Texas and did not attend Baylor for undergrad get into to Baylor medical school? Baylor is my top choice, but I'd like to know if Im being realistic since I'm out of state and did not attend Baylor for undergrad. Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. spumoni620

spumoni620 .:good girl down:.
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    hey there,

i am a tx resident...but i do know some out-of-staters who made it in. it's tough, but not really more so than other med schools from what i know. by law i think baylor accepts 70% instaters with 30% out-of-state (someone correct me if that's wrong...). i read in another thread that baylor's acceptance rate for instaters is around 11% while for out of staters it's more like 4%. you can check the baylor official thread to find out info on what the average stats, etc. are. since baylor switched over to amcas, it's true that there's a bit more competition now for those out-of-state spots.

you aren't at a disadvantage because you didn't attend baylor u undergrad. baylor college of medicine doesn't have an affiliation with baylor univ in waco - they just have the same name but aren't connected. so, there's no "feeder" effect for baylor univ grads.

i did notice from my interview day that a lot of people were "non-traditional" in the sense they didn't major in science, traveled, done creative research or whatnot, or had worked a few years out of college. so if something atypical like that applies to you, you might have a good shot at getting in. 50% of those they interview are offered an acceptance.

hope that helps. good luck :)

4. DMBFan61

DMBFan61 Boomer
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    thanks for the advice!

5. Trekkie963

Trekkie963 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

The acceptance rate in-state for Baylor is about 12%, out-of-state is about 3%, so you are definitely at a disadvantage to apply as a non-TX resident, but not an insurmountable one.

6. TongueInCheek

TongueInCheek Treading Water
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

#5 TongueInCheek, May 3, 2004
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  7. Newquagmire

15+ Year Member

ucsd! luuuuucky. did you get a cow from kathy crawford by chance?