Question about Biochem text book

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Pubis, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Pubis

Pubis Junior Member

Which one is the best?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

Stryer is the standard more or less, and Lippincotts has a good review guide.

4. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good
    Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved

Attending Physician
    Isn't Stryer's biochem text getting a little old since he stopped updating it? I admit, it was an excellent book of its time, but a little outdated now.

5. Iron Horse

Iron Horse The luckiest man

Lippincott's was more than enough for my first year biochem and from what upperclassmen say it suffices for the board.

6. AegisZero

AegisZero Senior Member

There is a new version out. It's pretty solid.

7. leorl

Attending Physician
    Unless you're planning on really going into biochemistry, you don't really need to get a biochem textbook. Use class notes, read the relevant info. in the book (Stryer or Voet & Voet) in the library, don't bother buying one. Lippincott's is a good review and essential for boards. A good book to actually buy is Bayne's Medical Biochemistry. Makes everything a lot more relevant than some dry biochem textbook.

8. southerndoc

southerndoc life is good

Attending Physician
    Now that's interesting to know. I'll have to order it. I loved Stryer's biochem text in undergrad!

9. yaoming

yaoming Banned
    Banned

Stryer Edition 5 is out this year. But you wont need that or any text book for biochem. Lippincott is all you need and have time for.

10. Scalpel

Scalpel Guest

Medical Student
    Stryer seems to be the "popular" standard text, however I have found "Biochemistry" by Matthews and Van Holde to be easy to read and informative.

11. nuclearrabbit77

nuclearrabbit77 commercial sex worker

lippincott is awesome.

nuclearrabbit

northwestern - 2006

12. orthoman5000

orthoman5000 Senior Member

Another good book is Harper's Biochemistry.

My school sent out a book list during the Summer that listed Harper's, so I bought it. Then when I got to school they had changed it to Bayne's Medical Biochemistry, so I bought it also (stupid M1 that I was). Anyway, most of the professors actually lectured out a third book, Lehninger's Biochemistry. A few lectured from Harpers, and one lectured from Bayne's (the chapters he had contributed to it).

Here was my impression of all of them:

Harper's: Excellent text with decent clinical correlations.
    Bayne's: Pretty colorful text with nice pictures that could hold your interest with the clinical correlations but so lacking in depth and details that it wasn't even funny.
    Lehninger's: Supposedly the gold standard amongst Biochemists, lots of detail, fairly easy to understand, also a good book.

In the end I'd probably just go with Lippencotts and/or BRS Biochemistry and a good syllabus.

13. Skip Intro

Skip Intro Registered User

Attending Physician
    BMJ student section sez...

http://www.studentbmj.com/back_issues/0200/reviews/39.html

Of course, Lippincott is everything you'll need for the shelf exam (for those that have to take it). Likewise, the other Lippincott review books (Micro and Pharm) are also outstanding.

(NOTE: The third one down - the one that got four stars - was written by one of our Biochem profs at Ross, Gerhard Meisenberg. ;))

14. flusky

flusky Junior Member

Hey,
    All depends on the backbone and level of your biochem course. For my first year in medical biochem I simply used Lipincotts supplimented (seldomly) with Voet and Voet.

I dont know what your covering but I found a particular resourse on the net really helpfull. Go to Google search and run "MEDICAL BIOCHEMISTRY PAGES" It should be the first result to come up. Its by a Prof named Dr. King. It had a pretty comprehensive topics list and gave only what I needed...No crap to waste time with.

Hope that somewhat helps

Cheers
    David, Trinity COlloge Medicine