Question about biology requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dzana1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm going to be a Junior in my undergrad this year. I've started to look at schools I want to apply and I noticed that plenty of them require a full year of biology with lab. I've been reading that this needs to be a basic biology course with a lab. My school has a funky biology department, there is no intro biology courses that are taken consecutively. I plan on taking microbiology with lab, so I know I have 1/2 of the requirement done. However, I'm not sure if any of my other classes will fulfill this requirement. I took Principles of Biology which is a basic biology but there was no lab offered with it. I've taken Anatomy with lab and I've also taken physiology without lab, both of which are in the biology department. I've heard anatomy does not count toward the requirement. Will physiology fill it? I could take the physiology lab this upcoming semester if I needed to in order to get another bio class with lab. What are the qualifications for a course to fulfill the biology requirement? I was planning on taking a "Pre-dental orientation" class called Biol 3080 which is 4 credits. I'm worried that this won't fill the requirement so I should ditch it and take a biology course that dental schools will accept. I'm just freaking out that I won't be able to apply to schools I want because I only have 1 biology class with lab.
Would it be better to take another basic biology course? My school offers a class called "Evolution and Diversity of life" which is a lower division biology class offered with a lab. There is also another course "Cell Lab" which is al lecture and a lab. I went to my pre-dental advisor last week and she looked over my plan and didn't say anything about this biology requirement. I think she might have overlooked it. I just need some guidance as to which of these I should take. Any help is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to take principles (or intro) of bio I and II with labs. Your microbiology, anatomy & physiology, etc will not count towards this requirement, but it is still recommended that you take these classes to better prepare for dental schools. Its the first time I heard of a school that doesnt offer the intro bio classes with labs. Are you sure that they dont offer it?

There is no principles of biology with labs in my school (University of Utah). I will list out the classes that are considered lower division with labs
  • Biol 2010 Evolution of Diversity and life + Lab
  • Biol 2323 Human Anatomy + Lab
  • Biol 2420 Human Physiology + Lab
  • Biol 3210 Microbiology + Lab
  • Biol 3215 Cell Lab+ Lab
Am I allowed to post links? I'll try to post a link to the 2015 fall class schedule for the biology section. I showed my advisor my planned classes and she didn't even mention that I hadn't taken a biology with lab yet. As you can see on the schedule, there is no into biology classes with labs.
http://www.acs.utah.edu/uofu/stu/scheduling?term=1158&dept=BIOL&classtype=g

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
2010, 2020, and 2030 series is the one you want to take.
You'll also want to take both anatomy and physiology.

OK I can do 2010. I was planning on doing 2020 as well. I can take 2030 but both 2020 and 2030 don't come with any labs?

Would recommend meeting with an advisor to make sure that you take the correct classes. I have never heard of a school not offering lower level biology classes and only biology electives.

Reactions: 1 user