Question about Board Ceritification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrackBaby

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
can you do breast augmentations / mastopexy privately once you have done your MS General Surgery (not pursuing further into it with plastic surgery). basically just interested in working on uncomplicated cases for smaller fees.

are there any boards you can join without doing the full plastic surgery residency? (ie just having done general surgery)

i know in some places you can do the above without even doing the general surgery postgrad but i would like to at least join some sort of board.

Members don't see this ad.

can you do breast augmentations / mastopexy privately once you have done your MS General Surgery (not pursuing further into it with plastic surgery). basically just interested in working on uncomplicated cases for smaller fees.

Not sure what "MS General Surgery" is, but the quick answer is:

- technically, yes as long as you have a medical license you can perform any surgery you want.
- practically, no.

Most medical defense companies will credential you and require an additional rider for plastic surgery procedures. You will have to do additional training - how much additional (ie, whether a "weekend course" will suffice for your malpractice provider is up to them) is unknown. Furthermore, you are unlikely to get hospital operating privileges to do these cases without proving you have done a plastics residency (you will not do enough of these in GS to warrant being credentialed for it), so will have to do them in your own operating suite in your office or an ASC you own.

It is also clear that you haven't worked with the breast population. Breast patients are amongst the most demanding (see other thread about this) and difficult to work with. The cases may seem easy, but there are a lot of possible complications and a lot of litigation in this population. Better not to be doing something you aren't really trained for (ie, breast aug, mastopexy).

are there any boards you can join without doing the full plastic surgery residency? (ie just having done general surgery)

You do not "join" boards. You are either board eligible/board certified or you aren't. You are not eligible to be BC by the ABPS if you have not done the prerequisite training. Become BC requires rigorous training and testing and the world is only getting more focused on these things, not less.

If you want to be a plastic surgeon then do the plastics training. If you want to do a breast aesthetic fellowship, there are some out there that will take general surgeons. This is your "best" route in terms of trying to convince local hospitals, malpractice insurers and the unsuspecting public that you are trained to do these "uncomplicated" procedures. Remember, you've already told us you have a couple of weapons charges/convictions, are a student in the Caribbean, etc. Stop trying to take the easy route because people can and will find out your background. You've ****ed up once and now have been given some redemption; stick to the tried and true routes of accepted, accredited training. Besides, at this point, how do you even know you'd like this as a field?

And if the fees were small (these are not insurance cases), there wouldn't be dentists and OBGyns putting in implants. I'm not fooled.

Last edited:
I don't know that I'd like it, but whether or not I have a chance at both getting into a general surgery residency, and further plastic surgery are things I have to think about right now for some choices.

From what I have seen maybe only a handful of people from even the big foreign schools come to the US to do a residency in anything but family or internal medicine. My friends who have clean records and got into US and Canadian schools have shown me their graduating class info and MOST of them are doing non-primary care.

So with that in mind all I can see is that it will be next to impossible for me to get into plastic surgery the traditional way and if all I want to do is breast augmentations instead of major reconstructions then...

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know that I'd like it, but whether or not I have a chance at both getting into a general surgery residency, and further plastic surgery are things I have to think about right now for some choices.

From what I have seen maybe only a handful of people from even the big foreign schools come to the US to do a residency in anything but family or internal medicine. My friends who have clean records and got into US and Canadian schools have shown me their graduating class info and MOST of them are doing non-primary care.

So with that in mind all I can see is that it will be next to impossible for me to get into plastic surgery the traditional way and if all I want to do is breast augmentations instead of major reconstructions then...

The traditional way is to do GS followed by additional plastics training. There are Caribbean grads who match into GS every year; depending on your application, you may be one of them. Then again, you may not.

And whether or not you do breast augmentation rather than "major reconstruction" the fact remains that you are not taught to do either in GS or any other residency, so my comments above about credentialing, malpractice and the feasibility of doing the work without PRS training still stand.

IMHO, what you need to do is stop focusing on doing on breast augs and decide whether or not you want to be a surgeon or not. If you do, then work your hardest to match into the best GS program you can get into. Decide whether its worth trying for more than 1 year to do so.

The people that are the most disappointed in medicine are those who have blinders on (ie, "I will die if I'm not a dermatologist/plastic surgeon/Interventional Neurorads, etc.") and then fail to meet those goals. Every year we see it on SDN, so med or pre-med student claims they will drop out if they don't match into specialty X. Life is not fair and sometimes we have to make choices.

So if you will be unhappy unless you are doing breast augmentations and don't think you will match into GS, I would encourage you to revisit your goals and motivations for medicine. Be realistic about your chances but I almost always encourage students to at least try and match into their dream speciality, because you'll never know unless you try.

That being said, you have to decide whether or not you want to be a surgeon because there may be a realistic chance that you won't get into PRS training or that you can't get credentialed or insured to do breast augs (although anything is possible - I was talking with my new trainer this morning - his wife works for a local Ob-Gyn who promotes himself as a cosmetic surgeon doing "natural augmentations", Smart Lipo, etc. He lost his hospital privileges for doing things outside of his scope of practice and now does all of his operating in his office. :rolleyes: ) and then you are stuck with your GS residency training and not wanting to be a surgeon (that is if you can stand the residency - most people who don't really want to be surgeons cannot).

Yeah. I appreciate what you're saying that, and I guess I have all the information I needed from it.

Basically I'm trying to get an idea of how long I will be in post grad anything, and how likely it is to get in that pathway. I am not even fixed on surgery, I think I find emergency medicine more interesting.

My real question is whether I have a chance at anything competitive and I guess I need to quantify that in the actual match data.

Yeah. I appreciate what you're saying that, and I guess I have all the information I needed from it.

Basically I'm trying to get an idea of how long I will be in post grad anything, and how likely it is to get in that pathway. I am not even fixed on surgery, I think I find emergency medicine more interesting.

My real question is whether I have a chance at anything competitive and I guess I need to quantify that in the actual match data.

EM is 3-4 years, or shorter than the shortest GS program and much shorter then GS + PRS. If you are interested in anything competitive, then do yourself a favor and sit down with some faculty counselor/mentor. They will be the best judge of your competitiveness for those fields.

There are myriad factors but in general USMLE Step 1 will be used as the initial filter. Until you take that exam all bets are off on how competitive you will be. But if you do find yourself interested in something really competitive (ie, Derm, Integrated PRS, Rad Onc, Ortho, etc.) then you'll need to start working toward that goal before Step 1.

I'm still not sure why it matters how long you'll be in GME but it sounds as if you don't think that is really the important question, so I will leave it.