Question about breathing difficulties and necropsy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hwolfe

KSU CVM C/O 2015
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Every time I've been around "fresh" tissue for an extended period of time (such as in necropsy lab) I get this sensation of shortness of breath. It doesn't happen if I'm around the carcass for a short period of time, only for extended lengths. I've just been a little worried as to what might be causing it...it lasts for a while even after I've been out of the lab for a few hours. Does this happen to anyone else?

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe you are sensitive to formalin? I personally have not experience anything like that, maybe you can ask your tutor for a respirator? My lecturer wore one because she was pregnant...made her sound like Darth Vader though :oops:

Every time I've been around "fresh" tissue for an extended period of time (such as in necropsy lab) I get this sensation of shortness of breath. It doesn't happen if I'm around the carcass for a short period of time, only for extended lengths. I've just been a little worried as to what might be causing it...it lasts for a while even after I've been out of the lab for a few hours. Does this happen to anyone else?

I remember when I had anatomy lab in the beginning I had similar experiences, but after awhile seems that wasn't a problem anymore or maybe I just got use to, which normally everybody does, I think is absolutely normal to have some discomfort specially in the beginning, after all the smell is not a pleasant one and will never be, but with time you adjust and it does not bother you anymore, however If you feel like you can't deal with it or that makes you sick, you will totally pass out when you get to surgery where you have to endure sometimes 10 hours on your feet, whithout using your hands or going to the bathroom and of course with flesh smell and a mask that makes hard to breath, well in that case I hate to say but veterinary medicine is not for you, because this is what we do, now if you feel you have been improving and each time bothers you less and less then you really don't have to worry about, it will pass....

Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel like you can't deal with it or that makes you sick, you will totally pass out when you get to surgery where you have to endure sometimes 10 hours on your feet, whithout using your hands or going to the bathroom and of course with flesh smell and a mask that makes hard to breath, well in that case I hate to say but veterinary medicine is not for you, because this is what we do,

You do realize that 1) not every type veterinarian performs surgery (path, rads, gas, public health, research, etc), and 2) even in general practice, very few are going to be performing 10 hour surgeries regularly...

I hated surgery and veterinary medicine is definitely for me.

kwolfe, lots of fresh tissue in lab is slightly putrified by the time everyone gets to see it (lying around at room temperature), and necropsy also (unless they are extremely fresh, ie, still warm). That might be part of it.

It could definitely be a reaction to formalin. I have something similar. (Went through OChem lab and felt fine every single day... except the one time we were doing Grignards with formaldehyde.)

Please update. I have been fearing necropsy for this exact reason, and would like to know how you are doing now (seeing as this was first posted almost a month ago).

Doesn't fresh tissue mean it hasn't been put in formalin...? I think people might be confusing two issues here.

I have major issues with very wet, preserved specimens, but I'm fine at necropsies I've watched vets do.

Doesn't fresh tissue mean it hasn't been put in formalin...? I think people might be confusing two issues here.

I have major issues with very wet, preserved specimens, but I'm fine at necropsies I've watched vets do.

I was under the impression that some fresh (or 'almost' fresh) specimens were preserved under formaldehyde.

Either way, I would like to know what happened with the OP.