• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

naixin

Jul 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
usually the unopened one has a paper package, but paper stuffs are not allowed to take into the test room. Is it that just you open the package before them, and then take the earplugs only into the room?

Erek94

7+ Year Member
Mar 15, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Alot of testing centers will supply you with earplugs/headphones. If not, they will just check the earplugs to make sure they are not compromised in anyway. You should be fine.

May 26, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
My test center supplied the kind you wear at a shooting range, over the ear.

I wanted my own (sterile) so I bought a new pack day before the test. I can't wear the foamy ones because of skin irritation so I brought a package of silicon ones. I was not allowed to use them because the box was not PLASTIC WRAP sealed. I had never open it but it was in a snap-type box that could have been opened or closed before arrival. . . even though this was how I bought it I was not allowed to use it.

If you bring your own they squish them in your fingers and watch you open the package. For my silicon ones, she suggested that "in the future" I contact AAMC to get that type of ear plug cleared.

bananaz

May 9, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
At my test center they made me open the package in front of them and take a pair out, but they didn't touch them or anything. Then I had to put the opened package in my locker with everything else.

About the Ads

bananaz

May 9, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I have unopened plastic wrappings, but I bought them individually. They don't come in a set of package in a box, but only in single pairs. Is this alright?

I'd think that as long as they're in some kind of commercially sealed packaging then it should be okay, but you might want to just call the test center and ask ahead of time.

kryptonian

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have unopened plastic wrappings, but I bought them individually. They don't come in a set of package in a box, but only in single pairs. Is this alright?

I think it is ok as long as it is unopened. You may want to call AAMC and the test center to confirm. They will give you the most reliable confirmation for this situation.

kryptonian

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
How do I call the actual site? Do I ask the AAMC people to connect me to the specific testing center?

I think asking the AAMC staff for the center's number is your best bet. You can also try to google the number. Type in the address and see what comes up. I once found a number on google for my testing center, but when I called, it connected me to the central Prometric. Since I was in a hurry, I just hung up so I don't know what would happen next if I had hold on until speaking to someone at central Prometric.

folktale

Jun 30, 2010
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Well, the prometric center had an answering machine and said to bring two IDs w/ signatures, but when I called AMCAS, they said only one. The fact that the center said two is b/c they are also hosting other tests other than the MCAT that probably needs two IDs for some reason (which the AMCAS person told me).

As for the earplug, AMCAS also said as long as it's unopened in a plastic wrapping, then it's good to go. Does not matter if it's in a box or individual pairs, as long as the actual earplugs are in an unopened wrapping.

kryptonian

10+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Well, the prometric center had an answering machine and said to bring two IDs w/ signatures, but when I called AMCAS, they said only one. The fact that the center said two is b/c they are also hosting other tests other than the MCAT that probably needs two IDs for some reason (which the AMCAS person told me).

As for the earplug, AMCAS also said as long as it's unopened in a plastic wrapping, then it's good to go. Does not matter if it's in a box or individual pairs, as long as the actual earplugs are in an unopened wrapping.

They're afraid we're going to have some sort of James Bond's version of ear plugs. That's why they're very paranoid about the unopened earplug issue.

Ronson

Apr 16, 2012
Status (Visible)
As an afterthought, I find that taking the practices with earplugs/headphones is more distracting than going ahead without them. If you plan on using them on test-day, I'd def suggest doing your practice tests with them.

generic123

5+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I brought opened earplugs to my test and they didn't have any issue with me using them. Plus they were my lucky earplugs so I'm glad they didn't make me leave them behind haha.

folktale

Jun 30, 2010
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
As an afterthought, I find that taking the practices with earplugs/headphones is more distracting than going ahead without them. If you plan on using them on test-day, I'd def suggest doing your practice tests with them.

I'm more comfortable with earplugs on. I don't want to hear other people's mouse clicking and keyboard typing and door open and closing. Well at least, if not completely, at least it will minimize the noise.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.