Question about CA North state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

If it was the only US MD you were accepted to, what would you do?

• Attend

Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Re Apply

Votes: 13 44.8%

• Total voters

Kingsmen2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've seen comments around here blasting Northstate bc they are for profit and don't give students loans or payback mechanisms. If this is the only thing wrong with it, and we get private loans, can we still match residencies at a good rate? Or is it almost like a Caribbean School?

Basically what Im asking is... what else is wrong with CNU?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So I've seen comments around here blasting Northstate bc they are for profit and don't give students loans or payback mechanisms. If this is the only thing wrong with it, and we get private loans, can we still match residencies at a good rate? Or is it almost like a Caribbean School?

Impossible to say how well you would match as they have yet to graduate their first class. But I imagine you would be able to secure a residency from CNU.

I imagine CNU would match it's class at a good rate since it's still an LCME accredited school. No idea about the quality of their match list. Personally I would not attend so I did not apply. Do not apply to a school that you would not attend if it's your only acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where is option C, don't apply to CNU in the first place?

Reactions: 4 users
There are over 120 MD and 30 DO programs that have historical track records of STEP scores and match placements. Unless you're the trailblazing type, why step into the unknown with such a high financial cross to bear?

Reactions: 1 user
There are over 120 MD and 30 DO programs that have historical track records of STEP scores and match placements. Unless you're the trailblazing type, why step into the unknown with such a high financial cross to bear?
Where we can get that list STEP 1 scores for each school?

*sigh*

Why NOT to apply to CNU (with kudos to the wise gyngyn and Med Ed)

1. Their method of selecting the inaugural class was slapdash. They didn't use AMCAS, just faxes and PayPal. This disregard for modern systematic processing makes one wonder if their profit motive was more important than thoughtful consideration.

2. This class ended up with twice as many men as women. If their mission precludes thoughtful evaluation of candidates, one wonders what other important elements of education are being missed.

3. A review of faculty credentials reveals a significant lack of scholarship.

4. In a state that is at least 30% Mexican American, they only had a single representative from this group.

5. They had the chance to enable their students to be able to get federal loans. They refused, and still do so. This says that their profits are more important than their students.

5. Because of these and other points too numerous to mention, the PD's I know are reluctant to consider these graduates in the same light as other applicants at the moment.

6. The LCME did not really "allow" CNU to have a class starting 2015. The LCME granted preliminary accreditation in June (not unusual), and then CNU took the unprecedented step of seating a class less than three months later. Literally every other new medical school accredited in the modern era has gone through at least a partial AMCAS cycle. This is why the LCME is apparently pissed off at CNU, and why [students] might end up paying a price later. The only reason for CNU to have done this was to get money flowing in the door ASAP. Again, every other new medical school has used the gap between preliminary accreditation and white coat to shore up the faculty and curriculum.

Cue the Northsplainers.

Reactions: 6 users
Where we can get that list STEP 1 scores for each school?
Some schools list their pass rate, but I mainly just meant they have years and years of prepping students successfully for STEP and have relationships with residency directors to help you apply to programs. My school has been around for 124 years, CNU has barely been around 24 months.

Reactions: 1 users