Question about calculating GPA with classes prior to and after college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camelsarecool

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys! I just had a quick question about calculating my GPA.

My GPA upon graduating college was a 3.x96 or something, which is a little frustrating but I definitely can't complain. I did however take an art class while in high school at different college (and got an A) and I am planning to take a class or two before applying to schools next summer (probably statistics, as I noticed some schools require it and I only have AP credit). Would it really be worth having the school send an entire transcript for one little class? I figured I'd only hassle with it if it actually did bump my GPA up.

So, I was just wondering if any of these other classes will count toward my GPA when I apply. I just think it might make a difference to get pushed up into the next 'GPA bracket.'

Also, would it make a significant difference if I were to take classes at my local community college versus my state school or online? I'd honestly prefer the community college on account of smaller class size and cheaper tuition.

Thanks so much for the help everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I did however take an art class while in high school at different college (and got an A) and I am planning to take a class or two before applying to schools next summer (probably statistics, as I noticed some schools require it and I only have AP credit). Would it really be worth having the school send an entire transcript for one little class? I figured I'd only hassle with it if it actually did bump my GPA up.

So, I was just wondering if any of these other classes will count toward my GPA when I apply. I just think it might make a difference to get pushed up into the next 'GPA bracket.'

Also, would it make a significant difference if I were to take classes at my local community college versus my state school or online? I'd honestly prefer the community college on account of smaller class size and cheaper tuition.
You are required to submit an original transcript from every college attended, even it happened during the HS years and even if they took place at a CC after graduation. Those grades will be incorporated into a single transcript by the application service. And all grades earned will be calculated into your final application GPAs.

Be careful about taking on-line coursework. Review the MSAR info about each of your target schools' policies in that regard.

Reactions: 1 user
Well that sounds like good news for me! Thank you so much for the response and thanks for telling me about the online courses. It looks like I'll need to take my classes at the CC or state university.

Once again,

Thanks a ton!!!

Reactions: 1 user