Question about changing programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pike73

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the difficulties in switching psychiatry programs after the PGY-1 year. I am a US MD grad that really isn't that happy in my current program. Does anyone know how tough it is or a place to look for open spots? Also, do open programs look for certain scores on Step 3 or the PRITE? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I've known a few people who have switched programs in psych. All of them switched into a program that they interviewed at and ranked highly during the 4th year of med school. All have told me they had no problem transferring in especially since the programs were already familiar with them. Sorry, cannot comment on the PRITE or Step3, cuz I don't know if that's factored in at all. Bottom line, it does not seem that difficult to do...but I'm sure it depends on the program you're trying to get into.

Quick question, if you don't mind, which program are you leaving and why? It's always interesting to find out someone transferred out of a program I interviewed at and really liked.

Good luck...