QUESTION ABOUT COLUMBIA UNVERSITY SCHOOL OF DENTAL AND ORAL SURGERY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LMUKID

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'M NEW TO THIS SITE AND I'VE BEEN LOOKING AROUND BUT HAVEN'T REALLY READ ANY POSTINGS ABOUT COLUMBIA'S DENTAL SCHOOL. I READ THAT IT WAS RANKED #1 BUT THAT DOESN'T MEAN THAT IT'S FOR ME. WHAT I DO WANT OUT OF A DENTAL SCHOOL IS LOTS OF CLINICAL EXPERIENCE. I HEARD THAT TEMPLE GIVES IT'S STUDENTS EXACTLY THAT. WHAT ABOUT COLUMBIA AND CLINICAL EXPERIENCE? CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT WITH THAT AND INFO ON ANY OTHER PROGRAMS THAT OFFER LOTS OF CLINICAL EXPERIENCE?

THANKS,
LMUKID

[This message has been edited by LMUKID (edited 12-23-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

i had a friend who went to columbia
and then subsequently quit. quite a number of ppl quit there.
the dental school there isn't that good in my opinion.
the rankings are too much like med school, w/ research money.. i didn't come to dental school to do research, i would have gone to grad school.

nestled in the med school building, and taking the same courses as med students,
you are treated as second class citizen at columbia.
talk about lack of clinical experience!
they start seeing patients in their 2nd semester of 3rd yr!!! can you say GPR or AGD? or lack of experience? some schools get your feet wet in your first yr. but most will get you fully involved in end of 2nd yr.

hope it helps.

Not that I'm particularly partial to my Alma Mater's dental school, but I hear that NYU offers the best clinical experience of practically all dental schools.

The downsides of NYU College of Dentistry? 1) The "dental center" is ugly, but it's one of the only dental schools I've ever seen that wasn't housed in the basement of someone's medical school. 2) Tuition is notoriously high, making it one of the most -- if not THE MOST -- expensive professional school in the country. 3) Not such a sparkling academic reputation, but then again, we're talking about a university whose claim to fame is its business school, law school, and its film school.
smile.gif

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

Members don't see this ad :)
actually heard that tufts has the best clinical, and usc which is THE most expensive, has the best clinical teaching and experience. uconn supposedly has the best facility. u of md has its own dental school and building and planning on building a spankin' new building in couple of yrs if the economy doesn't turn too sour.

Originally posted by turtleboard:
Not that I'm particularly partial to my Alma Mater's dental school, but I hear that NYU offers the best clinical experience of practically all dental schools.

The downsides of NYU College of Dentistry? 1) The "dental center" is ugly, but it's one of the only dental schools I've ever seen that wasn't housed in the basement of someone's medical school. 2) Tuition is notoriously high, making it one of the most -- if not THE MOST -- expensive professional school in the country. 3) Not such a sparkling academic reputation, but then again, we're talking about a university whose claim to fame is its business school, law school, and its film school.
smile.gif

Tim W. of N.Y.C.

I don't think columbia's that bad. Sure, other school are probably a lot easier. the thing I dislike about the sdos is the med courses... I guess that's why I don't go to them.

animal~
you know for some odd reason what you said about the exam are completely the opposit of what someone who I know that just graduated from Columbia told me. Although he also told me not to go to columbia school (if i get into another school that's ivy league, UC or that I really like) his experiences with some of the stuff you said are completely not like yours which really makes me think you're FULL of BULL!
Sure Columbia has some faults but it sounds like you really don't know what you're talking about, and nothing you said is specific at all to give indication that you even go to columbia.
My opinion is that you're a jealous freak that probably didn't get in or you're on the waitlist and you're trying to discourage others from going to make room for yourself!
sorry if this sounds rude, but if you really do go to columbia you need to speak up and stop being so vague in your responses.