question about community college courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dnrich2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will it be harmful to my application if I take general education requirements (art, history I, history II, psychology) at a local community college? I plan on taking all sciences and maths at my 4-year institution. I even plan on taking over 16 hours each semester. I need to take these general education requirements during the summer at this CC so I will have enough time to take the classes that matter (double major) at my 4-year institution. Will it be harmful?

Members don't see this ad.

If you're trying to save money or otherwise your university doesn't offer those classes in the summer, then you should be fine. I think they just don't want to see you take pre-reqs or hard science courses at a CC instead of your university because it may be "easier."

I don't see any harm in taking gen ed at a CC to save a little money or if your load is full.

Members don't see this ad :)
GE's shouldn't be a problem at a community college, but stay away from the science courses.

Will it be harmful to my application if I take general education requirements (art, history I, history II, psychology) at a local community college? I plan on taking all sciences and maths at my 4-year institution. I even plan on taking over 16 hours each semester. I need to take these general education requirements during the summer at this CC so I will have enough time to take the classes that matter (double major) at my 4-year institution. Will it be harmful?

General eds at a CC are not much of a problem especially if your 4-year institution does not offer these classes or you can make a case (home for the summer) for why you didn't complete these at your institution.

The other instance where general eds at a CC do not matter very much is if you started out at the CC and then transferred into a 4-year institution. In that case, they would have expected that you would have taken your GE requirements at the CC.

As others have said, stay away from the pre-med courses or any science (unless it's just not offered at your school). Things that you might find at a CC but not at a 4-year institution but useful are pathophysiology, one-semester biochem courses ,developmental math (if you need this type of course)etc.

I second what everyone else is saying. Go ahead and take your GE's at a community college... It will likely be much cheaper... Besides, those classes pretty meaningless, anyway.