Question About Completion of Degree...Help!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by pagalpagli5, May 16, 2008.

1. pagalpagli5

I have been accepted off the waitlist to medical school. I was checking the guidelines for admission and there is a section about "Completion of Degree." It says basically that "applicants enrolled in degree granting programs, including first baccalaureate undergraduate, masters or doctoral degree granting programs, are required to complete all degree requirements." And that if you fail to do so, you won't matriculate.

My question is that I have completed my primary BS degree in Biology. I applied 1 year late so I decided to take some undergraduate classes while I applied. I wasn't sure at the time whether I should reapply as "Degree Seeking Post-Bac" or "Non-Degree Seeking Post-Bac". For financial reasons, I went with Degree-Seeking Post-Bac (in Chemistry). Now, I have been accepted into medical school, and I'm not sure what to do about because I really just took 3 classes-Anatomy, Physiology, and Biochem this past year so that it would look good to Admissions Committees that I was keeping up with coursework. I wasn't really planning on getting a Chemistry degree, and now I'm scared I won't be allowed to go to medical school because I haven't completed the post-bac degree? What can I do? Can I change my major/status to "Non-Degree Seeking" and then I won't have to complete it? I'm really worried. Thanks if you can give me any advice on this?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown
    Moderator Emeritus

Resident [Any Field]
    Simple, call and talk to the med school.

4. moe_4eva

moe_4eva doprepd on my haed

Medical Student
    I don't perceive it being an issue, but bowtie, m.d. is right. You'll need to call/email the school, explain that you already have a degree and were doing post-bacc classes rather than seeking a degree, and see what they say. Ultimately, the admissions committee controls your fate on this one.

5. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy

Medical Student
    Imma guess it will be a non issue...but I agree withthe above...give thema call monday morning.

6. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    I agree, give them a call to be sure but you shouldn't have a problem. I would think that same thing happens to quite a few people each year who complete their degree and then continue to take undergrad science courses.

I did the same thing. Finished my BS in Psych, and was going to be around for another year so I took some more sciences but just b/c the way the school was organized it was easier to just "officially" declare another major to have access to certain classes instead of registering as a special/non-degree-seeking student.

7. pagalpagli5

Thank you for the advice to everyone above. I have a question to the above poster - Did you finish the second degree? If not, what did you do to inform the medical school that you were not going to finish the degree and how did you change the status on your transcript before you matriculated?

Do I need to call my college's registrar first BEFORE the medical school and see if I can change my status from Degree-Seeking to Non-Degree Seeking? It really was only financial aid purposes that I registered as Degree Seeking. Thanks again for the help.

8. nlax30

nlax30 Fellow
    Physician

Fellow [Any Field]
    I didn't tell med schools anything, and they didn't seem to care. I already had my BS and all pre-reqs done so I don't think they really cared. They know that people may continue to take other courses to help out their GPA, etc...

But no, I didn't finish the 2nd degree. At my school the non-degree seeking students register AFTER everyone else and certain classes are only available to you if you are technically a part of that department. So having access to certain classes and not wanting to register last were the only reasons I declared another major.

When I got accepted I asked my undergrad if I had to do anything specific before I left and they said no, just don't register for classes next semester. That will probably vary but couldn't hurt to talk to you school and just ask if there is anything specific you'd have to do once you got in somewhere.

I wouldn't think you'd need to change your designation to non-degree seeking.

9. pagalpagli5

Oh okay, that's good to know. I guess I'll just talk to my undergrad and see what they say before I talk to the medical school. Thank you so much for your advice. :)