Question about content to add to personal statement

sizillyd

Go Pack
7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Texas
Status
Medical Student
I want to correlate practicing medicine to tutoring individuals. My reasoning is that tutoring is constantly helping people, getting the satisfaction of seeing someone progress from their initial condition (sometimes), and also the fact that the need is always there and the work never ends. If I do not have a good thing going here can you please let me know? Thank you very much!

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I think it makes sense but don't try to make a mountain out of a mole hill. You can talk about the transferable skills you gained from tutoring and how you saw them apply in a clinical setting while volunteering, and give a 1 or 2 line example. Just don't make the grandiose claims about empathizing with your turoree's "condition", the unquenchable needs, etc. The idea is to present the experience for what it is and spell out how it truly relates to your desire to be a doctor, without embellishment or inflation.

mannyowens

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 16, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I think you can definitely highlight this point in your statement, but dont make too much of it. I was also caught up with this when writing my statement...everyone is trying to be unique and approach the personal statement from a unique perspective. However, you also run the risk of going overboard and losing your reader. I also tutored and I can definitely see the correlation you are trying to make. This should serve as an important component of your statement, demonstrating some level of altruism. Hope that helped :)

metallica81788

Keeper of the Llamaworm
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I want to correlate practicing medicine to tutoring individuals. My reasoning is that tutoring is constantly helping people, getting the satisfaction of seeing someone progress from their initial condition (sometimes), and also the fact that the need is always there and the work never ends. If I do not have a good thing going here can you please let me know? Thank you very much!
Sure, that sounds good to me. Just don't overplay it too much.

I related playing guitar and music to medicine and it worked out well.

May 27, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Don't make the connection between the two more than it really is. If you feel like you're having to force yourself to say stuff, that's when you should pull back.

Apr 8, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I think you definitely "have a good thing going on," but should be careful about how you phrase this. I think there are similarities between tutoring and practicing medicine and it's good to highlight them as it gives a sense of your relevant experience, but be sure that you aren't making too much of it. I can't think of anyone who would say being a tutor is just like being a doctor and, while I don't think you believe that, you should be careful that that is not a viewpoint that comes across in your essay.