Question about "COURSE WORK" section on AMCAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adam5aby

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, hope you guys can help me (and most likely others) with these questions.

1. Where is says to type in "Course Number" would you put "Chemistry 20A" OR just "20A"?

2. If a History course I took was writing intensive, denoted by the "W" in "Ancient Near East 10W" would I still list this under the "Course Classification" as History or something else (e.g. English)?

3. And what if the course number is "Psychology 115" but the course content and title ("Principles of Behavioral Neuroscience") is clearly a Biology class. I'm positive this goes under BCMP as Biology but do I need to mention the "Psychology" name somewhere in the entry form?

Members don't see this ad.

1. Where is says to type in "Course Number" would you put "Chemistry 20A" OR just "20A"?
Whatever it shows on your transcript. Usually there's an acronym followed by a number, for example, CHEM 20A. Chemistry 20A would be fine, too. As long as they can match your entry to the entry on the transcript.

2. If a History course I took was writing intensive, denoted by the "W" in "Ancient Near East 10W" would I still list this under the "Course Classification" as History or something else (e.g. English)?

3. And what if the course number is "Psychology 115" but the course content and title ("Principles of Behavioral Neuroscience") is clearly a Biology class. I'm positive this goes under BCMP as Biology but do I need to mention the "Psychology" name somewhere in the entry form?
From the AMCAS help file:

Each course must be assigned a course classification based entirely on the primary content of the course.
Essentially, this means course classification is your call. But if AMCAS challenges it during the verification process, it'll be up to you to submit an academic change request and provide further reasoning why that history course is considered an English course or that psych course is considered a biology course. Good luck!

thank you sir, very helpful