question about definition of illness anxiety/hypochondriasis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WiseOne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Simple question. In illness anxiety/hypochondriasis the concern is over having a physical illness correct? not a psychiatric one? This is what the review books I've been reading have told me. People with this disorder think they have or will have some physical illness is that right?

Members don't see this ad.

Simple question. In illness anxiety/hypochondriasis the concern is over having a physical illness correct? not a psychiatric one?
DSM 5 explains that it should be a "medical illness." In the same section, it notes, "Because they believe they are medically ill, individuals with illness anxiety disorder are encountered far more frequently in medical than in mental health settings."

Reactions: 1 user
DSM 5 explains that it should be a "medical illness." In the same section, it notes, "Because they believe they are medically ill, individuals with illness anxiety disorder are encountered far more frequently in medical than in mental health settings."

Ok thanks. So it's not possible for someone to have illness anxiety disorder based on a fear of having a mental illness, am I right? thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont see why not. mental disorders are still medical illnesses. it would just be much more unusual for someone to have a morbid fear of having a psychotic disorder, but it does happen.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you... have illness anxiety disorder... about having... illness anxiety disorder??.. (not being facetious lol)

Well, I'd certainly say that illness anxiety disorder surrounding dementia is quite a common thing. But I'm not sure that's neatly in a mental illness category.