Question About Diminishing Returns With GPA Repair and Activities as a DIY Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bomba

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, here it goes,

Question 1:

I'm currently a 32 year old Texas resident with a prior bachelor's/master's degree. I was a VERY undisciplined student when I was younger, but I took some time off to work, endured the 2008 Financial Recession, and decided to go back to school--my academic performance has been stellar since that point, i.e., I've had three Bs in the last 11 semesters. Due to my past indiscretions I plan to invoke Academic Fresh Start the semester immediately before I apply in 2020. However, at that time I will still have 15 Ws (yes, 15!) on my transcript, all from a little under 10 years from the time I apply.

When I apply I will have the following GPA metrics:

3.71 cGPA
3.65 uGPA
3.80 BCPM GPA
3.92 gGPA

I will be completely finished with my TMDSAS prerequisites after the Summer 2019 semester, at which time I will have no more available financial aid. This leaves me in a conundrum: I can (a) continue taking classes for another semester to bolster my academic record while paying out of pocket, or, (b) focus on more meaningful activities such as ECs, contributing an income to my household, and making sure I rock the MCAT. After crunching the numbers I have determined an additional 15 credit hour semester would have the following effect:

3.71 --> 3.72 cGPA
3.65 --> 3.68 uGPA
3.80 --> 3.84BCPM GPA

Is the extra semester even worth the time/money? My inclination is that devoting so many resources for a less than 0.05 bump across all categories is most likely a waste.

Question 2:

Should I get involved in student organizations such as pre-med societies? I have already held leadership positions in clubs during undergrad and have also held leadership roles in private industry. Furthermore, I have the following ECs:

- 350 hours of non-clinical volunteer work including coordinating a fundraising drive for Special Olympics, providing meal services at a homeless shelter, and tutoring

- 300 hours of clinical volunteer work in an academic ED

- A plethora of professional experience including positions as a graduate research assistant, graduate teaching assistant, and business analyst

Members don't see this ad.

Question 1:
Is the extra semester even worth the time/money?
Nope

Question 2:

Should I get involved in student organizations such as pre-med societies? I have already held leadership positions in clubs during undergrad and have also held leadership roles in private industry. Furthermore, I have the following ECs:

- 350 hours of non-clinical volunteer work including coordinating a fundraising drive for Special Olympics, providing meal services at a homeless shelter, and tutoring

- 300 hours of clinical volunteer work in an academic ED

- A plethora of professional experience including positions as a graduate research assistant, graduate teaching assistant, and business analyst

No. If you haven't shadowed, do that. Maybe get some research experience, or continue in service to others less fortunate than yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for taking the time to reply, @Goro. Insight from those involved in the admissions process is invaluable.

Reactions: 1 users