Question about dropping OChem Lab 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solsek

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I don't know if this is the correct place or what not to ask about whether it would be a good idea to withdraw from OChem Lab 1.

We have 2 midterms and 12 labs in our class. Our first midterm was graded and given back to us and I got a 64/100 when the mean was 75/100. I have got 100% through 7 labs so far and I am fairly confident I can do most of the 2nd midterm fairly well (Mostly based on what we are learning in class now - its confusing to explain because we are in a quarter system and there is no ochem lab for the first quarter of ochem lecture). So the situation I am in is that our class total is out of 500 points and I am pretty sure I can get 295/300 from the labs we turn in and I am fairly confident I can pull an 87+ on the second midterm because I know that material much better. That will pull me to somewhere like 446/500, our class is also graded based on the mean where the mean is equal to 2.8 +/- 0.2. Even though it looks like I have a relatively high grade it may not be that high because grading is based on the mean. Should I consider dropping this even though we are already done with 8 out of the 12 labs? Or should I try to gut it out for hopefully a B?

Oh and the reason why I did soooooooooo terribly on the first midterm was because I had midread one entire question which was worth 25 points on the exam and I ended up getting only 5 on it because of that (And like 2 other mistakes).

Members don't see this ad.

I would not drop it, especially after going through all those labs.

You do NOT want to have to retake this and redo everything you basically have done already. Stick it out, try your best, and it sounds like you are fairly confident you will be okay.

Just my opinion though.

I would not drop it, especially after going through all those labs.

You do NOT want to have to retake this and redo everything you basically have done already. Stick it out, try your best, and it sounds like you are fairly confident you will be okay.

Just my opinion though.

Yeah, another thing is that a lot of students (Meaning about 600 students taking OChem lab) haven't taken ochem in 1 or 2 years and the 2nd midterm will be a LOT of reactions. It is safe to assume the average will drop well below 75 for the second midterm and that I know I can do much better on the reactions midterm.

So worst case scenario is a B- (2.4-2.7) better than a W? Best case scenario is I stick it out, do well on the next midterm and get a B/B+ (2.8-3.4).

Oh, and this is only a 3 credit hour class and I am taking 17 credits. We are also in the quarter system so it has less of an impact on my GPA.

With that extra information my vote is stick it out.

If I was in your situation I would not drop it.