Question about EC. Thanks for Replies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hassm1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I volunteered as a firefighter for 2 years and am currently doing my EMT with plans to use it for 2 years. I know I need to shadow and do research and I plan to do that this summer with intent/wish to publish something in genetics. I also plan to do some ER Tech once I get my EMT since its so hard to get a position with no certifications. I guess what im trying to ask is if my leadership roles can be sub-catergorized from my dedication to the fire dept. We do alot of fundraising for needy families, help the terminally sick/ incapable elderly, buy gifts on christmas for underpriveliged families kids, etc. The list goes on and on.

Thanks again for replies.

Members don't see this ad.

Leadership is a category among experiences but you don't need to use that tag if "Volunteer, non-clinical" (firefighter) or "Volunteer, clinical" (volunteer EMT) or some other category fits just as well.

"Volunteer, non-clinical" would cover the fund-raising and service to the needy as well as the actual fire fighting and it could all be described in the text.

I guess what im trying to ask is if my leadership roles can be sub-catergorized from my dedication to the fire dept. We do alot of fundraising for needy families, help the terminally sick/ incapable elderly, buy gifts on christmas for underpriveliged families kids, etc. The list goes on and on.
If you need a lot of descriptive space, you could separately categorize these charitable activities as Community Service-nonMedical, name it something like Fire Department Charitable projects (or somesuch), and use one of the other Firefighters as a contact to vouch for you. If it were a Leadership activity, OTOH, that implies you organized other Firefighters and led the effort, decided what projects to take on and recruited participants. Then you could name it Leadership of Firefighters Charitable Projects, and specifically describe the role you took as a leader.

A way to get plenty of space to describe both the firefighting and the charitable efforts together would be to designate the activty as "Most Meaningful" and then you'd have the room for more description for both.

Last edited: