Question about effect 1 Failure Preclinical on residencies.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monarchyyyyy

Reaction score
Hello all, had 1 failure in a nonsystems or basic science course and successfully remediated it.
Just wondering if I do decent on the COMLEX/boards and do alright on the rest of my classes what are my chances of getting a residency in a noncompetitive field?

Really shooting for Psychiatry/Internal med/PM&R. I'm at a 2.8ish gpa, just wondering if I am not too picky on where I want to go for residency.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly they might ask about it but if they drilled you on it during an interview I would probably flag that program as a no go. Decent PD should know that the soft classes are usually not well put together and usually dumped on faculty at the last minute and honestly have no correlation on anything related to being a physician.

I know our fluff classes were an eccentric waste of time taught half heartedly by our worst faculty. They did fail a few people at my school. Which is honestly shocking they would fail people in those classes since they were utterly worthless and an impediment to board studying.

Just be able to sort of explain it away and not have any red flags

Reactions: 1 users
They did fail a few people at my school. Which is honestly shocking they would fail people in those classes since they were utterly worthless and an impediment to board studying.

A bunch of people at my school got axed for failing some of the worst taught classes (with unfair exams) I have ever witnessed. Pretty depressing.

Reactions: 1 user
A bunch of people at my school got axed for failing some of the worst taught classes (with unfair exams) I have ever witnessed. Pretty depressing.

At least we know once we graduate and if we ever want to teach somewhere we can basically get hired, walk in half naked, and forget how to speak English and maybe even shower and still probably have a job. Not sure how some of these people got thru med school but again it was prob in the 1970s when 8 texts by at still where mandantory and real medicine wasn’t taught yet in DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user