Question about EK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCB05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks! In case you're wondering why a predent is lurking on the MCAT forums, short story is I'm a nontrad going into dentistry from medicine. Since I did pretty well on my MCATs in the past, I've been tasked with helping my sister. It's taking some adjusting because when I took it it was still on paper. Anyway, I've been reading the forums and checking out the new sources and strategies. I'm wondering - how are the EK study guides? I read SNed's recommendation for EK Bio, but what about the others? Relatively average? Bad? I've been going through them and they seem kind of... light. We'll be getting TBR and some other books later when my sister cracks down and really starts studying, but for now I'm wondering if EK is worth my time or just a waste.

Members don't see this ad.

They are definitely not a waste. They seem "light" because they only go into what you need to know and nothing more. Some people here seem to like the BR stuff better but I've never seen the BR books. I used EK exclusively and was very happy with it so I'd say definitely use them at the very least while you're waiting. The most likely problem is that if you aren't strong in sciences, the EK books may cover concepts too quickly. For anyone who is strong in sciences though, they are probably the best books to use since they don't waste your time with unnecessary details.

Biology: 1. EK Bio (for content) + BR Bio (for passages and further topic depth if needed) 2. TPR Hyperlearning, detail oriented 3. Kaplan

Physics
: 1. BR 2. Nova 3. TPR Hyperlearning 4. Kaplan

Verbal: 1. EK Verbal + EK 101 Verbal 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. BR 4. Kaplan (Avoid if possible)

Organic Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

General Chemistry: 1. BR, by far 2. TPR Hyperlearning 3. EK/Kaplan

Extra Practice Material: 1. TPR Hyperlearning Verbal Workbook + TPR Hyperlearing Science Workbook, good source of practice passages 1. AAMC Official Guide to the MCAT Exam (most representative material available) 2. EK 1001 series, helps nail down basics