Ludacris

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 3, 2007
Status
Medical Student
What is the rhythm for 2nd degree AV block Type 2, and 3rd degree AV block (complete heart block)?

I know 2nd degree AV block Type 1 is Regularly Irregular.

Thanks! :scared:

Oct 9, 2010
Status
What is the rhythm for 2nd degree AV block Type 2, and 3rd degree AV block (complete heart block)?

I know 2nd degree AV block Type 1 is Regularly Irregular.

Thanks! :scared:
(somebody correct me if I'm wrong)

2nd degree block type I is when the pr wave will progressively lengthen at times and then you drop a ventricular beat/qrs when it gets too long

2nd degree type ii is the bad one since you're on the edge of progressing to type 3. it can be regularly irregular where you have 2 p waves for every 1 qrs

3rd degree block is when your atria and ventricles are no longer coordinated (av node is just completely fails on you) so the ekg is completely irregular (no pattern between p wave and qrs complex)

Dwindlin

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2009
Status
Attending Physician

2nd degree block type I is when the pr wave will progressively lengthen at times and then you drop a ventricular beat/qrs when it gets too long

2nd degree type ii is the bad one since you're on the edge of progressing to type 3. it can be regularly irregular where you have 2 p waves for every 1 qrs

3rd degree block is when your atria and ventricles are no longer coordinated (av node is just completely fails on you) so the ekg is completely irregular (no pattern between p wave and qrs complex)
For the 2nd degree, the easiest way I had it explained was it has a stable PR interval but dropped QRS complexes.

Complete block can still be regular, there is just no longer any coordination between the P and QRS (as you said). However if you track the P waves, and QRS complexes independently they are likely fairly regular.

pianoman511

10+ Year Member
Jun 8, 2005
Buffalo, NY
Status
Attending Physician
Also, remember all of the AV blocks are bradycardia by definition. That's one of the easiest ways to start narrowing down what the rhythm is.

Oct 9, 2010
Status
For the 2nd degree, the easiest way I had it explained was it has a stable PR interval but dropped QRS complexes.
2nd degree type I can show unstable PR intervals prior to dropping the QRS (it can get longer and longer then drop the qrs)

Complete block can still be regular, there is just no longer any coordination between the P and QRS (as you said). However if you track the P waves, and QRS complexes independently they are likely fairly regular.
whoops yeah that's what i meant (sometimes see p before qrs, sometimes see qrs before p)

I always just think of Diagnosis Wenkebach
:laugh::love:

WellWornLad

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]

3rd degree rhythm is regular - it's known as ventricular rhythm/ventricular escape (as opposed to sinus rhythm). Both the P waves and the QRS will be regular, they'll just be going at different frequencies and are completely unrelated to each other (P waves at 60-100 bpm, QRS at 20-40 bpm).

The rhythm is always dictated by the QRS/ventricular contraction, not the P wave (although they're normally associated).

Dwindlin

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
2nd degree type I can show unstable PR intervals prior to dropping the QRS (it can get longer and longer then drop the qrs)
Yeah, I forgot to designate type II in my post, thanks for catching that.