Question About English Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mewblackberry

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took 2 English classes at my university to complete my GE's, but med school requires a year of English (we go by the quarter system, so that would be 3 courses). In the summer after my junior year of high school, I took an English class at my local community college. I'm wondering if that would complete the English requirement. And if it does, how do I factor that into my GPA (I got a B in it but teacher did not give out +/-)?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like it should cover the requirement unless it is judged to be identical to one of the university English classes (the advising office can tell you if this is so). Calculate the B into your cGPA along with all other courses taken, just as AMCAS will do. That the school doesn't give out +/- grades doesn't matter.

I took 5 community college classes in high school and 2 after I graduated. Do I factor all those into my cGPA? Even the courses that have no equivalent at my university (e.g. nutrition)? Also, I took the first physics course in a sequence at the cc but had to retake it in uni because it doesn't exempt me from any classes. How would I handle that?

Both transcripts would be submitted by you to AMCAS, and all grades earned will count regardless of how your university considered the CC classes. Enter each class exactly as it appears on the original transcripts. Figure CC coursework as equal to the uni classes, even the retaken coursework. AMCAS will recalculate your application GPA accordingly. You can do the same to see where you stand.