Question about expunged misdemeanor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Steeeeeve

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
a

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Send me a pm. Have some experience on applying similarly.

If you explain it and own it, it won't be a problem. There are lots of Baby Boomers on AdComs.

How does an expunged drug possession (misdemeanor) influence an applicant's application? The offense happened over 4 years ago, and was an isolated incident. I experimented with the drug psilocin with a friend, he freaked out and called 911, cops came, etc., and then I ended up with a charge. I had it expunged, but I still have to disclose it when secondary applications ask about my criminal record (advice directly from an attorney). I have a 3.7 sGPA (and cGPA) and a 33 MCAT and a great variety of ECs and clinical experience. Also, there is significant improvement in my grades and ECs since the incident, and I can speak about how the experience of having my future in jeopardy motivated me to mature and get my life together. I know a drug charge will definitely put me at a disadvantage, but will it ruin my chances? @gyngyn @LizzyM @Catalystik @Goro

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What's the point of expungement if you're still stigmatized forever?
Our criminal justice system is so effed up.

Reactions: 3 users

Yeah, I was always told that expunged means it doesn't exist on record. If it still does, it seems pointless.

Thank you everyone for your responses, you have alleviated many of my concerns regarding this mistake I made a long time ago. I just have to own it and hopefully it won't hurt me too bad!

Well I found out (through the extensive research I've done on this matter) that my state is one of the few where expungement of an offense does not reverse the conviction - it only seals the public record thereof. In most states, when your record is expunged, the conviction is reversed and you can legally and truthfully say, "No," to the question, "were you ever convicted of a misdemeanor?" It is unfortunate that my state is not one of those, but I think the fact that it was expunged will carry some weight because I resolved the issue with the legal system. Also, there will be no surprises for my school/residency down the line when the offense inevitably comes up on the many and in-depth background checks I'm sure I will have to go through in my medical career.

I also don't have to report it on AMCAS, so if a school's secondary doesn't ask about offenses, I'm in the clear!