Question about extent of Family Practice Medicine...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwaysaangel

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have several friends who have had children, and most of them had doctors who did their prenatal, delivery and pediatrics for their children.

Did these doctors most likely do FM residencies? I've been searching the web and reading on here and as far as I can tell it looks like FM is the only thing that really encompasses both to allow a doctor do all three things. Is that true?

Members don't see this ad.

Family medicine is the only medical specialty that encompasses both obstetrics and pediatrics, so it's likely that these doctors are family medicine trained, assuming they're relatively young and went through the U.S. medical education system.

I tried to post this as a comment on your MDApplicants page but got "mail failed" :confused: oh well.

If you find yourself interested in FM, I would have to say that in all honesty you'll probably be exposed to more at UK, but GWU can definitely give you good outpatient experiences. You'll have the chance to work with a primary care doctor weekly during first and second years, and you do a 6-week primary care rotation during third year. For all those assignments you'll be able to specify your choice of primary care doc to work with.

There were 11 of us in my class at GWU who matched into family medicine and from what I've heard, we're all doing well. My knowledge of the GWU program is getting a little dated now but PM me if you've got questions. Congratulations on a good application season!

Thank you both for your replies!