Question about FAFSA email

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leonardodavinci12345

Reaction score
I completed my FAFSA application a few days ago and just received my confirmation email, which states this:

Estimated Expected Family Contribution (EFC)= 000000

I'm a bit confused by this, because for undergraduate FAFSA apps my EFC was always much higher than this. Is the estimate for higher education FAFSA apps based on my own income and not my parents?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Is the estimate for higher education FAFSA apps based on my own income and not my parents?

Yes. Medical schools can take your parents' income into account for need-based aid, but FAFSA does not for professional school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
My general understanding of FAFSA for med school is this:
- If you are applying for graduate school you are automatically considered independent
- Although you are not required to, go ahead and include parental tax info if you would like to be in the running for need based scholarships
- EFC of 0 is based off of your financials and it just means you qualify for max loans to cover med school
- Unsubsidized and grad plus loans are available (no subsidized). Also they both have higher interest rates than typical undergrad loans
- Receiving scholarships would decrease the amount of loans youd qualify for to cover CoA

Hope this helps!!