Quantcast

Question about FAP from Amcas

Clinical Shadowing Summer '22 Programs
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

estarr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I've been reading through the threads on the fee assistance program and there were a lot of mixed responses on people's eligibility. It seems as if there are some really poor people that didn't qualify, and others who got it relatively easily. My family makes a couple K under the 300% of poverty level requirement, and the assistance would help a lot, but we're not impoverished - should I bother applying?

Also - for those who've applied already, in the "non-taxable income" slot, I've read that it includes financial aid for housing and the such - which is quite high for me since I'm poor and get a lot of financial aid - would this count against me?

~Thanks a lot!

metalgirl14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
You should definitely apply for the Fee Assistance Program. I was approved for it and my family's not impoverished.

I think for non-taxable income they primarily mean scholarships, unemployment, etc. The only non-taxable income I included in my application was my dad's unemployment compensation...

randombetch

Removed
Reaction score
Yes it does "count against you."

Grants/scholarships given - (tuition + cost of books + other cost of education) = non-taxable income for you. My taxable and non-taxable income amounted to around 20k because my school gives me so much money.

theroadtomed

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It absolutely does not "count against you." Do not even list the scholarship/grant money in this field. I applied and was receiving something on the order of 55,000 in grants from my school. They ask to see your taxes and a copy of your financial aid award letter, so I am certain this does not count against you. I certainly wouldn't be under 300% of the poverty level if that 55,000 would've counted. I am positive of this.

metalgirl14

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It absolutely does not "count against you." Do not even list the scholarship/grant money in this field. I applied and was receiving something on the order of 55,000 in grants from my school. They ask to see your taxes and a copy of your financial aid award letter, so I am certain this does not count against you. I certainly wouldn't be under 300% of the poverty level if that 55,000 would've counted. I am positive of this.

I agree with not listing these. I received several pell grants and Northwestern "scholarships" (about 30,000 per year) but I did not list these on my FAP application. I sent them all of my tax returns, W-2s, and financial aid award letter (which clearly stated the grants/"scholarships" I was awarded) and they never mentioned any problems with my application.

estarr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just want to let you know that I got it! :thumbup: I followed the above posters' advice and didn't put in my aid for the "non-taxable" income.
Thanks for everyone's replies!

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just want to let you know that I got it! :thumbup: I followed the above posters' advice and didn't put in my aid for the "non-taxable" income.
Congrats. Apply away because most of your secondaries will be free and a few schools might even help with interview expenses!

randombetch

Removed
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I swear that's what they ask for (I clicked the "help" button and read what they wanted in the non-taxable income section). Perhaps my memory is foggy... I reported the scholarships I was given that exceeded the cost of classes and I got it too :shrug: What's the point of asking for a fin aid letter if they don't care about scholarships and financial aid given?

They probably don't check that carefully.

estarr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
yea, technically it asks you to list financial aid that didn't go towards tuition/books, which would be for housing etc (which you mentioned). I guess they just go by the documents that you send them.