Question about fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Crepitus Fremitus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, when do you get into a fellowship?

I've been working on the assumption that first you get accepted into a basic 4 year path program, then somewhere near the end of that you start applying for fellowship--more or less recapitulating the medical school into residency process. Then, after you've fully completed your basic path, you move on to the subspecialty.

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe it is possible to get into fellowship and residency at the same time somewhere, but that is not done at my program. But, that said our 5th year in my program is called a fellowship in surgical pathology if we spend the year doing AP. We get a certificate. But, this is not a board eligible fellowship. For fellowships like cyto, derm and heme I doubt there are many people who get in at the same time as they start residency. You start looking to get into a fellowship like these 2 years before you finish you basic path residency.

It is a good idea if you want to get into one of the competitive fellowships to do your residency at a place with a good fellowship in your interest.

Another thing to realize is that most fellowships are not obtained via some sort of match process. So someone could say sure we will take you as a fellow when you finish and then say sorry we filled it with someone else.

Good luck