Question about Financial Aid, please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingImpatiently

Long Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like an idiot, I never pushed my parents to file their tax returns until last week. Anyway, I did complete the FAFSA a little over a month ago by estimating a lot of the numbers. Now that the taxes are ready, I noticed something...

Step 4 (parents' section) says "Complete this step if you (the student) answered "No" to all questions in Step 3." BUT, there is one question in Step 3 as follows: "During the school year 2002-2003, will you be working on a master's or doctorate program (such as an MA, MBA, MD, etc.)? Obviously, I'll be working on my MD degree next year... so does that mean I don't have to enter my parents' income data on the FAFSA? I made only a few thousand last year, but was basically being supported by parents.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Most schools require parent info on the fafsa or a suplimental form for instutional assistance. If you just plan on taking out government loans I think you don't need parent info, the federal EFC doesn't use parent info for grad/proffesional students even if it is included on the fafsa...NU requires parent info, so I put it in there for me. Both with and without my parent info I had an EFC of zero.

Another Q about FA...

The deadline for a lot of schools to submit our FAFSAs was late Feb, early March... I made those deadlines, but again, I only submitted my FAFSA with estimated 1040 tax data. If I correct my numbers tomorrow (which I plan on doing), will I have missed the deadlines that have already passed? Or did I save myself by turning in my estimated numbers back in Feb?

Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure about that one...I would bet it is okay, are your numbers really different? Are you correcting on the web? It is really easy and really fast. I submitted my paper renewal fafsa, but did corrections on the web and loved it!! Also, I think you are supposed to let schools know if you have updated your FAFSA so they can download a the corrected ISIR.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by drjo2002:
•I'm not sure about that one...I would bet it is okay, are your numbers really different? Are you correcting on the web? It is really easy and really fast. I submitted my paper renewal fafsa, but did corrections on the web and loved it!! Also, I think you are supposed to let schools know if you have updated your FAFSA so they can download a the corrected ISIR.•••••drjo--

I am correcting my FAFSA on the web, and the numbers aren't TOO different-- off by maybe a few thousand or so for total income and a lot less for the other questions. But the thing is that since I haven't officially submitted my numbers, I've heard NOTHING since I originally submitted the FAFSA over a month ago-- no school has given me an offer letter, etc.

I haven't heard anything about my financial aid either, and I submitted more than a month ago, and said it was from completed tax forms (even though mine had to be corrected). Have you been accepted yet? I know my undergrad school does not consider financial aid until someone has been accepted and I would guess med schools are like that too. If you are really worried call the financial aid offices of the schools you are interested in, but my guess is that most schools haven't sent out that many (if any) fin aid awards yet. Am I wrong? does anyone have an award from a school yet? and what school is it? and when did you get accepted and turn in fafsa/ other financial aid forms?

oh, not that it really bothers me, but there is a financial aid forum which might answer your questions faster or better, or possibly already have it answered.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by drjo2002:
•oh, not that it really bothers me, but there is a financial aid forum which might answer your questions faster or better, or possibly already have it answered.•••••Phooey! Nobody (very few people) read and reply on that forum.

Anyway, I got accepted to my first 2 schools within the past month, just after I submitted my FAFSA. Nothing from the FA office, though. I think I'll call the FAFSA hotline as well as the FAOs of a few schools I might go to. Thanks.

Though not related to your topic, I sent you a PM waitingimpatiently

I agree. No one reads anything in the financial aid forum. It shouldn't even exist. I wanted to know which loan lenders current med students chose and so I posted in the allo forum. It got moved basically immediately and only one person had answered. And allo students don't read the financial aid forum. :rolleyes:

I check the FA forum at least once a day :) But I think it was MUCH more useful to ask the questions right here.