Question about FInancial AId

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently I am listed as a dependent under my parents taxes or what not, and I would not be eligible for any financial aid. If I was to file as an Independent and my parents drop me from their taxes sometime around march, will I be eligible for financial aid come 2009?

Members don't see this ad.

Currently I am listed as a dependent under my parents taxes or what not, and I would not be eligible for any financial aid. If I was to file as an Independent and my parents drop me from their taxes sometime around march, will I be eligible for financial aid come 2009?

it doesn't work that way for med school. otherwise, everyone would be independent, and completely broke because we'd all be in our early 20s with no income.

run a search on this because there have been dozens of threads about trying to avoid using parental information to get more aid, and the consensus has always been that you can't do it.

that sucks, if your parents arent gonna help you out, why shouldnt you get the same aid as other ppl without middleclass parents?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, that's the year you hope to be entering med school.

The way I understand it, they all want your parents' info whether or not you are a dependent. Doesn't matter if you are 40 years old and have a wife and five kids, the "family", which includes your parents, is expected to pull together to take responsibility for its members.

It wouldn't put you out of the running for loans, though. Those are form of financial aid, too.

that sucks, if your parents arent gonna help you out, why shouldnt you get the same aid as other ppl without middleclass parents?

The expectation is that you will be able to pay it back from your prospective earnings. There aren't many free rides through med school compared to the number of students. Many schools attempt to spread the burden as evenly as possible among the students.

I strongly disagree. I have been independent since I was 18... and I am 26 now I don't have to give any of my parent information for FASA or any fin. aid and they can't help anyway.... you need to do your research.... I did

I strongly disagree. I have been independent since I was 18... and I am 26 now I don't have to give any of my parent information for FASA or any fin. aid and they can't help anyway.... you need to do your research.... I did

Professional school financial aid is not the same as undergrad.

If you want any institutional aid (read: grants or scholarships), you need to provide your parents' financial info to the school. You can fill out the FAFSA without it, but you won't get anything beyond loans.

Ahhh, well thanks everyone for the responses. I wasnt necessarily looking for a free ride, just a little help.

If you want any institutional aid (read: grants or scholarships), you need to provide your parents' financial info to the school. You can fill out the FAFSA without it, but you won't get anything beyond loans.

I agree. When I was at Pitt I spoke to the Financial aid lady and she explained that if you dont supply your parental information you wont be eligible for aid, only loans. The exception was if you grew up with someone other than your parents then their info would be considered