Question about following up with Interviewers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akw921

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my interview a couple of days ago and am planning on sending the interviewers notes thanking them for their time and consideration. I'm considering other options to help me stand out and would like some advice. The school I applied to gives each applicant scores in three areas gpa, dat, and interview. Those three scores are added up and used to rank each applicant. So a list is made of applicants from most to least qualified. While this is the main tool used to determined who is accepted, admissions committee members can advocate for a student they feel is qualified regardless of overall score. Prior to interview day I had not met the people who interviewed me, but some of the dentists I know are friends with the people who interviewed me. Even though I think I interviewed well I would like to ask the dentists I know to call the interviewers and explain to them why I am a good candidate. I feel that I would make a great addition to the school and what to do everything possible to gain acceptance. I'm somewhat concerned that the interviewer would think that i'm using my relationship with his colleague to gain an unfair advantage. Does anyone know if this is a common practice? Any thoughts or opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I personally wouldn't do that and if I were an interviewer, I would think you were using the relationships you have with the dentists to your advantage and doing so will be viewed unfavorably. You should be accepted for what you have already presented to them, not with your extra sources to get an edge over other applicants. I'm sure there are others who exhibit the same qualities as you but just don't have the connections. It kind of reminds me of the scandal where wealthy international parents would use money to try get their child into an Ivy League school. The extent in which you should have used your relationships with your dentists should have started and ended with a letter of recommendation.

I personally wouldn't do that and if I were an interviewer, I would think you were using the relationships you have with the dentists to your advantage and doing so will be viewed unfavorably. You should be accepted for what you have already presented to them, not with your extra sources to get an edge over other applicants. I'm sure there are others who exhibit the same qualities as you but just don't have the connections. It kind of reminds me of the scandal where wealthy international parents would use money to try get their child into an Ivy League school. The extent in which you should have used your relationships with your dentists should have started and ended with a letter of recommendation.
Thank you for your input I can see how there is a fine line using connections. I should have made it clear that I would not be asking someone to use their friendship to coerce a decision. The dentists that would call on my behalf are people that I have worked with closely over a number of years. My thinking was that they would contact their colleague in order to give them a better understanding of what kind of person I am and the qualities I possess that make me a good applicant. I think an admissions member would welcome honest information about me from a trusted colleague so that a more informed decision can be made. Now that I have better explained my thought process do you have any further advice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for clarifying. I still hold my opinion from above. The only way I see this working without it seeming like you are abusing a friendship would be if you mentioned to your dentist friend that you interviewed with a colleague of theirs and they voluntarily contact them, without any hint from you. Of course, at the end of the day, it is your decision. I would leave it up to my application, numbers, and my interview to do the winning.

Thanks for clarifying. I still hold my opinion from above. The only way I see this working without it seeming like you are abusing a friendship would be if you mentioned to your dentist friend that you interviewed with a colleague of theirs and they voluntarily contact them, without any hint from you. Of course, at the end of the day, it is your decision. I would leave it up to my application, numbers, and my interview to do the winning.
Thank you for taking the time to reply. Your comments brought up some points I had not considered; know I can make a more informed decision.