Question about freshman year IA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

genericscreenname

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, had a question about something that happened my freshman year. Ready to submit AACOMAS and remembered about it. Was caught at a friend's dorm with alcohol in the room, everyone was reported and we were compliant. I had to complete an online alcohol class and I believe had some kind of probation but don't remember how long it was (1 year?). No other incidents since, it's been smooth sailing.

I spoke to my dean of student's office (this originally happened 5 years ago) and requested my disciplinary record. All it shows is this:

"Has exceeded the record keeping time period, and per this policy has no disciplinary record on file"

This box is checked due to the fact that they have a time limit for records like that (3-4 years I believe). However, they have another box which is NOT checked, which reads:

"Is in good standing and has no disciplinary record"

Other options include having a current record which also is not checked. However, wouldn't the first statement imply that something happened in the past? I'm wondering if it's safer just to list it in AACOMAS but could use some guidance. Would this hurt my app to a noticeable degree? The dean of students office is taking too long to get back to me. What do you think I should do in this situation? Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, had a question about something that happened my freshman year. Ready to submit AACOMAS and remembered about it. Was caught at a friend's dorm with alcohol in the room, everyone was reported and we were compliant. I had to complete an online alcohol class and I believe had some kind of probation but don't remember how long it was (1 year?). No other incidents since, it's been smooth sailing.

I spoke to my dean of student's office (this originally happened 5 years ago) and requested my disciplinary record. All it shows is this:

"Has exceeded the record keeping time period, and per this policy has no disciplinary record on file"

This box is checked due to the fact that they have a time limit for records like that (3-4 years I believe). However, they have another box which is NOT checked, which reads:

"Is in good standing and has no disciplinary record"

Other options include having a current record which also is not checked. However, wouldn't the first statement imply that something happened in the past? I'm wondering if it's safer just to list it in AACOMAS but could use some guidance. Would this hurt my app to a noticeable degree? The dean of students office is taking too long to get back to me. What do you think I should do in this situation? Thanks for reading.

So basically the one that is checked sort of states, you had something but now because of policy it cant be retrieved. Whereas another box not checked, states you are in good standing. Sounds to me theyre sort of forcing you to say it yourself for prospective progrAmS, or maybe im just reading too much into it.

I would wait and try to get some clarification because once its submitted you cant take it back. Its still very early in the DO cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol I don't understand these schools that try to screw you over why they have to make it as if they are not. They basically are saying you have a record but not the details. The good news is nobody is going to care about drinking alcohol under 21. If we did, America would implode. Just be honest about it. I really don't think it'll affect you in any way.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1 for owning it on your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah...you're going to need to report it on AACOMAS. Not doing so would make it suspicious.

I'm in a similar position and I chose to report it up front. I think it's the safer option at least. Better to report it have them not find it than to not report it and have your application nullified when it comes up.

Report it. It was so long ago and with no other marks on your record I don't think it'll be a problem.

lol I don't understand these schools that try to screw you over why they have to make it as if they are not. They basically are saying you have a record but not the details. The good news is nobody is going to care about drinking alcohol under 21. If we did, America would implode. Just be honest about it. I really don't think it'll affect you in any way.

Agreed...why is that even a listed option? No one really benefits from that.

Thanks guys, that's what I figured but always good to get an outside perspective about how it would be seen. Out of curiosity with the process, are disciplinary records commonly requested? The office made it sound like it's a hassle for schools to get it since it's different from the official academic transcript, but they've been giving me different answers each time I call about this issue so who knows.

Another phone call to the office, spoke with a supervisor this time. They said they agree that the statement has implications and their intent is to say that the record is wiped clean after X amount of years. They said they would change it so only the first box is checked until they decide on a new disciplinary records document. Requested confirmation just to make sure.

So...in this case I have a clean record?

If that number of years has passed it sounds like it, but again, this IA will not kill your app. It's better just to disclose it anyway. They may say it's wiped clean, but you never know. Just be honest. Alcohol, freshman year of college? Please. Not a big deal.

I see what you're saying, but even if it won't kill my app it won't exactly be a benefit for me to list it. If my school won't disclose the information I don't want to shoot myself in the foot for no reason. Don't some schools filter apps based on IA listings on primaries?

@Goro and others what's your opinion based on this recent news?

Of all IAs, these are the least harmful, I think, except maybe at Loma Linda. Just list it with an explanation.

These are the most common IAs I see, too.

Just don't do it again. That's more harmful.

I see what you're saying, but even if it won't kill my app it won't exactly be a benefit for me to list it. If my school won't disclose the information I don't want to shoot myself in the foot for no reason. Don't some schools filter apps based on IA listings on primaries?

@Goro and others what's your opinion based on this recent news?

Of all IAs, these are the least harmful, I think, except maybe at Loma Linda. Just list it with an explanation.

These are the most common IAs I see, too.

Just don't do it again. That's more harmful.

Right, I'm 24 now so I've put drinking in the dorms behind me lol

I guess I'm asking if my school says my record is now clean, whether or not disclosing this, while a minor infraction, is even necessary? Or will secondaries ask something more specific?

You're asked to disclose, clean record or not. Secondary prompts can be more specific, and then you can ignore them, for example, it you've ever been arrested, but the prompt only asked for felony convictions, you can truthfully say "none".

I guess I'm asking if my school says my record is now clean, whether or not disclosing this, while a minor infraction, is even necessary? Or will secondaries ask something more specific?

Play it safe. Just list it.

As @Goro and others said, just disclose it. Adcoms won't care about an IA this minor, BUT they will care if it comes out that you hid something. Just be honest and you'll be fine.