May 7, 2020
217
19
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Hi,
I recently interviewed for a clinical job and was told they would make me an offer (accept or reject) in mid September. They have training sessions on certain weeks, and I specified that I could attend a training at the end of the month. So they said they would contact me a few weeks prior to the training to let me know if they would accept me or not. They also said that if anything came up and I couldn't make the training to contact them and they would push me back to a later training date.

I was just contacted by a PI for a research job that I was very interested in a month ago, and they said they would be posting for an opening in the lab next week. Would it be appropriate to let them know that I'm interviewing for other jobs at this time too? I was thinking this might encourage them to make the posting quicker.

The posting would be open for a few weeks.

I'm thinking that if they post it, and I apply, I could then get an acceptance offer for the first job and have to make a decision before the research job even gets back to me about a potential interview.

I guess my other option would be to turn down the first job in the hopes that the research job works out. But to be honest, I probably need more direct clinical experience, which the first job offers. The second job is a clinical research job, and I'm betting it pays a lot more. The research is also in a field that is very interesting to me.

I could also let the first job know that I need to go to a later training date. This would mean they would make me an offer at a later date, maybe the end of September.

I could also reach out to this research PI and ask what length commitment she wants. If they want more than a year commitment, then this is all not an issue because I can't commit more than that because of med school.

I realize that some people advise not being upfront about medical school aspirations, and I get that. I interviewed with another lab a few weeks ago, and I'm pretty sure they liked me up until I told them I could only commit for a year. I haven't heard back from them. But I'm not one to burn bridges, especially because you never know who talks to each other, or who might remember you later on.


Finally, one other options I've thought of. The clinical job offers part time or full time. I guess I could try to take it as a part time job working 16 or 20 hours a week, then go for the research job full time.
The problem with this would be that if I don't get the research job, then I'm stuck with a part time job making almost nothing and I wouldn't be able to switch to full time for 6 months.
I could also see issues with schedule overlap between both jobs. I don't know how much of a problem it would be for me to say in the interview for the research job that I can work full time but also have a part time job that might sometimes overlap.
 
Last edited:
May 7, 2020
217
19
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
Does anyone have advice for this situation?

Would it be appropriate to email the PI for the research job to say that I'm interviewing for other jobs at this time too? I was thinking this might encourage them to consider my application quicker?
 

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

  1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads