• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

question about getting the residency i want

Flobber

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 3, 2005
  1. Medical Student
    Hey everyone,

I have an uninformed question here. I'm currently an MS1 and am thinking about doing research this summer. The only reason that I would do this research would be to land the residency I want. Problem is, I don't want a competitive residency, I just want to land an IM position at any 1 of 3 hospital systems, all of which are local and have high regard for my school. However, I'm a middle of the road student, maybe right at the 50th percentile or maybe a little under. Should I have any problems landing an IM residency w/o "separating" myself from the others in my class?
    I know the obvious answer is that it would do nothing but help, but honestly I would rather get a normal job and just relax this summer. Any opinions from those that have been through this already? Thanks...

JMK2005

15+ Year Member
    Apr 3, 2004
    1. Attending Physician
      Flobber said:
      Hey everyone,

I have an uninformed question here. I'm currently an MS1 and am thinking about doing research this summer. The only reason that I would do this research would be to land the residency I want. Problem is, I don't want a competitive residency, I just want to land an IM position at any 1 of 3 hospital systems, all of which are local and have high regard for my school. However, I'm a middle of the road student, maybe right at the 50th percentile or maybe a little under. Should I have any problems landing an IM residency w/o "separating" myself from the others in my class?
      I know the obvious answer is that it would do nothing but help, but honestly I would rather get a normal job and just relax this summer. Any opinions from those that have been through this already? Thanks...

I don't think you should underestimate the competitiveness of any specialty. Sure, IM might not be competitive, but if you want to get into specific programs, there won't be any guarantees if you'll land a position in one of those 3 local programs.

But to distinguish yourself, it might be more time efficient do a sub-I at those places and get to know the people there rather than summer research.

If those places are research oriented, then summer research will help you out too.

doc05

2K Member
      15+ Year Member
      May 24, 2003
      U.S.A.
        if they are research-oriented institutions, research will help. IM though isn't too competitive, and a summer project won't go that far toward getting you a spot. If the programs are near your school, you may end up rotating there. as the other poster said, a sub-I would be more time-efficient.

and keep in mind that middle-of-the-road in ms1 doesn't mean anything. it's neither good nor bad. it's irrelevant. best of luck.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.